Immune System after surgery?

Heather I.
on 2/16/10 6:59 pm
Has anyone else experienced a weakened immune system following surger?  This could just be a really unfortunate year for me getting colds/sinus infections. I've read confilicting reports on how the calorie restriction impacts our immune systems. I had surgery 9/29/09 and since Jan. have been catching one thing after another. I do keep up on all my supplements and average about 800-900 cals per day with 80-90 g. protien. Any suggestions?
Heather

Katari
on 2/16/10 8:58 pm - OR
Hi Heather,

I had surgery just a couple of weeks before you. I haven't noticed any weakend immune system at this point (I thought I would but my little kids seem to catch everything under the sun and for the most part, I've remain illness free other than one bout of a cold). I have however, noticed it after other surgeries, so it is possible. and then again, It could just be a bad run of luck. LOL. I guess that's not much help! Hope you get over being sick soon. (start thinking spring, maybe that'll help get your spirits up..LOL)

Katie
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

sgar375
on 2/16/10 9:22 pm - Cary, NC
I've noticed exactly the opposite.   I'm almost a year out and I've been healthier this past year than I ever have.   My wife and daughter have had multiple colds, stomach viruses, and the flu and I didn't catch any of those.   During the past year, I've not caught anything (although I just jinxed myself by typing this)

Start 303/Surgery 273/Current 188/Goal 185
soozeq38
on 2/16/10 9:42 pm
It has been the opposite for me too. I didn't even get a flu shot this year. I have not any kind of sickness, stomach virus, or flu. 

I feel so much better and thought maybe the vitamins attributed to that.

My surgery was 9/16/09

Susan

KARA_TOP
on 2/16/10 10:23 pm - richland, WA
I havent been sick since about 2 months BEFORE surgery (other than stupid ole allergies)......

All time highest: 370
Started this process: 343
Day of surgery: 281
Current: 150
Goal: 140'ish
Wow thats alot of info
WLSGoober
on 2/17/10 12:26 am
I am exactly the opposite, my immune system seems to be really good. I think it is a combo of vitamin supplements and not trashing my body with massive quantities of crappy food.
MsBatt
on 2/17/10 2:33 am
Pre-op, I used to pretty much keep a cold all winter long. Since my DS over six years ago, I've had a cold only two times---and I've been exposed a LOT.
So Blessed!
on 2/17/10 2:53 am

I am rarely ill.
vitalady
on 2/17/10 4:32 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Seems to be one way or another.

Ppl either get everything that passes by within 100 mi OR can stand gale force sneezing at close quarter.

We were told o9ur immune would be somewhat compromised. Like it worked well at BMI 50? But oddly, we don't get what our workers get, for example.

We take a huge number of supplements, over 120g protein in supps every day and eat our 4-6 small meals.

You say you're keeping up on your supps, but what might that look like?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Heather I.
on 2/17/10 7:30 am
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I made it through work.  I teach band and we are getting ready for solo contest!  The antibiotics are starting to kick in a bit.

To answer vitaladay:  supplements include -
2 multivitamins - generic tabs (probably go back to chewables when these are used up)
1500 calcium citrate tabs -(500 3xs daily) generic walgreens
ferral sequals iron and vit C (500) nitely
B12 (2 or 3 times a week subling)
fish oil (for inflammation)
Ginger root (for inflammation)

labs were good at Dec. appt. (white count a tad low).  Next labs due in late March.

Sound reasonable?  Working at school I'm always around the little snot factories and working one on one with wind instrument players is double trouble. Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

Heather I.

Most Active