Tachycardia after surgery???

STEPH2229
on 3/23/10 1:40 pm
Right before I went into surgery my doctor told me my heart rate was 140 but they thought it was just anxiety so they went ahead with the surgery. After surgery, my heart rate was still high and bounced between 120-140. They finally were able to get it down to around 86 before I went home. The next day it was right back up around 120-130 even getting as high as 145 so my doctor told me to go to the ER. At the ER they did EKGs, blood work, checked my heart enzymes, etc and everything came back good but they still can't explain why my heart rate is staying high when everything else seems fine. They put me on a beta blocker and I am scheduled to see a cardiologist in a few days. Even on the beta blocker my heart rate is 100-110.  My family and friends keep telling me that its just stress from the surgery and anxiety and not to worry and I wouldn't if the doctors where telling me that but they're not. Has anyone else had problems with tachycardia after surgery????
A. Me
on 3/23/10 2:47 pm
RNY on 04/05/10 with
I have seen tachycardia s/p surgery r/t anesthesia. Those mega drugs they use takes a bit to get out of the system and as you have probably heard many times, everyone responds differently.  Add the stress of the surgery yea it could be a combination of all. Keep an eye and hang in there. Make sure you avoid caffiene. Hydrate, relax and meditate, call your doc if needed.
M M
on 3/23/10 10:54 pm
When was your surgery?  Did you have an issue before?
lindahob
on 3/23/10 11:00 pm
The same thing has happened to me and still happens off and on.  I was sent to the ER, underwent the entire battery of cardiac testing and sent home with a 24 hour holter monitor.  Went to my PCP for the results and she was having a hard time interpreting them and so is sending me to a cardiologist.  Preop I had a nuclear stress test done that was completely normal so who knows what is causing this.  They did see PACs, essentially premature atrial contractions that are not anything to worry about, just annoying.  I am feeling those beats right now as we speak.....sigh.
Linda
Highest Weight 326
Start Weight /RNY Feb 16th 287
Current Weight  158
Goal Weight 159 (not sure)

Note: 39 lbs lost preop
Cathytoo124
on 2/24/18 11:57 am

After a 4 hour surgery under General anaesthetic with gas, I experienced tachycardia around 140 beats per minute. I was allowed to leave the hospital when my heart rate was down to 110 beats per minute.I fortunately did not experience heart palpitations. After 1 week, my heart rate was down to 100 beats per minute and after 3 weeks, my heart rate was back to normal (between 66 and 83 beats per minute). General Anaesthetic with intubation and gas can have a carbon dioxide buildup in its machine.The abnormal carbon dioxide causes red blood vessel destruction. The resulting anemia causes the increased heart rate as the body goes into overdrive in order to deliver oxygen to its tissues. Inflammation in the blood vessels can cause an irregular heartbeat or palpitations. My response was to go home where it is peaceful and comfortable. I ate blood building food such as liver and red meat. Vitamin E (800 milligrams) reduces dramatically the body 's oxygen needs. I took multivitamins and calcium, magnesium pills. I drank almond milk and ate peanut butter in order to minimize spasm. The result is that I am back to normal now and I am looking forward to rehab and my gym to get back to my normal routine. A little bit of knowledge can make life peaceful !

Jocelyn P.
on 3/24/10 1:12 am, edited 3/24/10 1:14 am - San Antonio, TX
they found out i had tacycardia during a sleep study. at one point my heart rate got up to 170 they said! Turns out one of my other medications (a psych med) is causing it. so they put me on a beta blocker too. i had all the heart tests and everything else is normal. the cardiologist is satisfied with my situation now.
might your tacycardia be a side effect of some other med you're on? just a thought.
Most Active