How Long did it take for you to heal after surgery???

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/10 12:11 pm - Dallas, TX
HI

I'm Tanisha and I have my pre-op appointment this wednesday. I wanted to know how long did it take you to heal enough to clean your house and things of that nature?
moosemom
on 9/26/10 12:21 pm - Wylie, TX
Healing time is different for everyone, but on average outside incisions heal  in 4-6 weeks and internal ones it could take up to 3 months. Can't really give you a definitive time for when you can do everything normally, its up to your body. I went back to work at 4 weeks with an 9 in open RYN incisions, I work a sit down job. I started feeling more like myself at 6 weeks but you have to do things in moderation and know your own limitation.

Good luck and listen to your body
Lorraine

Philosophy of life "Treat others like you wish to be Treated" 
              Only you can make yourself happy!!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/10 12:34 pm - Dallas, TX
Thanks for your response. I am planning on moving out of my state in November but will be having my surgery sometime in October. I have family members backing me up so I should be fine but I wanted to know if I could realistically help with my move.

Thanks
Mandyplus2 ..
on 9/26/10 12:22 pm, edited 9/26/10 12:23 pm - GA
About a week.

But I was very tired for a long time. I didn't want to do anything really.

5'8" - 40 years old

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/10 12:36 pm - Dallas, TX
a week wow i bet you were tired.
Mandyplus2 ..
on 9/26/10 12:44 pm, edited 9/26/10 12:44 pm - GA
I was mostly tired from healing, low fluids, and very few calories. I sat around on my butt a LOT. lol

I didn't do any heavy housework for quite some time, but I was doing stuff like loading the dishwasher and cleaning my kitchen at a week out - but just LIGHT housework. And taking care of a 3 and 5 year old. My DH only had one week of vacation that he could take. But I had the VSG so I think our recovery time is typically less.
 5'8" - 40 years old

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/10 12:47 pm
On September 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM Pacific Time, Phenomenally wrote:
a week wow i bet you were tired.
really , i took about 1 month to be back in normal form
Erica Wilson
on 9/26/10 12:23 pm - Barberton, OH
My Surgeon said 6 weeks. I was not up to cleaning my house 6 weeks out. I still couldn't bend over well or v *** due to the twisting. It was more like 10 weeks for me. I will say I had some extra complications though, due to painful skin infections and extra fluid. Hope that helps some.

Erica
Erica Wilson
Totally Worth It.

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/10 12:39 pm - Dallas, TX
the twisting does sound painful I never thought of that thanks
Kerrie M.
on 9/26/10 12:35 pm - Cumberland, RI
I would personally say 6-8 weeks.  I was given the okay for all activities at about 6 weeks out...And was okay to go back to work at 8 weeks. And I do a lot of bending and lifting clients at my job.  But I would say quite a few weeks.  Even though you may FEEL good, and FEEL like you can do certain things, you have to remember that you just had major surgery, and are still doing ALOT of healing on the inside.  So just listen to what your surgeon says, and you will be fine.

www.kerrieswlj.webs.com

HW-350lbs/SW-334lbs/CW-199lbs/GW-175lbs/SGW-160lbs/To be happy and healthy                        

ONEderland: 11/15/2010
Most Active