Ghrelin - RNY vs. sleeve?

MarilynT
on 3/28/11 12:05 am
I eat normally.

There is only one food that I routinely have problems with....the vanilla custard sold at my local frozen custard stand. I can eat it but only in a small (single scoop) portion size. Anything larger, or with any add-ins, and I will be in a carb coma within the hour!  But that's probably GOOD, since one scoop is plenty to give me the enjoyment without too much fat and calories.

It is a myth that RNY automatically means you can never eat normally again. Some people can't/some people can.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

walterswife
on 3/27/11 10:42 pm
I had RNY in 12/09 and my hunger returned within 8 months of the surgery.  Just my experience.  Frankly I am concerned about it.  Time will tell.

Hope you choose the procedure that is best for you.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Dawnie 88
on 3/27/11 11:03 pm
I had the sleeve almost one year ago and very rarely feel hunger.  About twice a week I feel I may be hungry, but its more of an empty feeling, not hunger that I felt preop.

Kimberly2010
on 3/27/11 11:51 pm - Panama City, FL
I had the RNY surgery and I've never felt hunger since.  I eat now to live not living to eat.  There is a lot of conflicting 'information' not all of it based on fact on this site.  Folks are well meaning, but many times mis-informed.  Discuss at length with your surgeon.  My surgeon does not do the sleeve any more at all because in his experience the RNY has better long term results with fewer risks.  But find a surgeon that you trust - and really trust him.

Dawnie 88
on 3/28/11 12:09 am
On March 28, 2011 at 6:51 AM Pacific Time, Kimberly2010 wrote:
I had the RNY surgery and I've never felt hunger since.  I eat now to live not living to eat.  There is a lot of conflicting 'information' not all of it based on fact on this site.  Folks are well meaning, but many times mis-informed.  Discuss at length with your surgeon.  My surgeon does not do the sleeve any more at all because in his experience the RNY has better long term results with fewer risks.  But find a surgeon that you trust - and really trust him.
I find that hard to believe (that your surgeon doesn't do the sleeve anymore based on long term results)..there hasn't been a long enough time to get in the type of results needed to have a surgeon do that. 

I also don't suggest putting all your trust in ONE surgeons opinion.  He is just one person. Sometimes surgeons suggest a surgery based on their experience performing it, and sometimes (sad to say) because it brings them more money.

Do LOTS of research on both, THEN ask a surgeon his opinion...but be WELL informed going in.

Kimberly2010
on 3/28/11 12:26 am - Panama City, FL
Now really, why would I lie....As I also said do research - and for goodness DO NOT believe 1/2 of what you read on this site or any other 'forum' as you can see folks get ugly if you post a differing opinion or have done a different procedure then they decided on.
Dawnie 88
on 3/28/11 12:31 am
On March 28, 2011 at 7:26 AM Pacific Time, Kimberly2010 wrote:
Now really, why would I lie....As I also said do research - and for goodness DO NOT believe 1/2 of what you read on this site or any other 'forum' as you can see folks get ugly if you post a differing opinion or have done a different procedure then they decided on.
I'm sorry..I did NOT mean that you lied.  I guess I didn't word that correctly.  I just find it hard to believe the surgeon said that for those reasons..I'm sure you're telling the truth.  But I mean..maybe he had some other reason he doesn't like performing the sleeve that he doesn't want to admit to?

I'm all for differing opinions..and I meant that last part of my post to the original poster..just like you said..that they shouldn't always go by what they read here either.  AGain...sorry that my post sounded offensive..didn't mean it!

ArmyWifeandMommy
on 4/2/11 4:34 am
I have to agree.  There is not enough data to show on the sleeve to say it is not safer.  My surgeon was the total opposite and does not like doing the RNY as much because it has more complications then the sleeve.  He has done 1000s of both (he is a military surgeon and surprise...us military wives are all overweight and military insurance covers us 100% for this surgery so he said he easily does 300 of these a month) and I would go with someone who has done that any of each before trusting. 

walterswife
on 3/28/11 9:27 am
That's a good way to describe it.....it's an empty feeling.  It is clearly not hunger since still feel the same way after I eat.  Thanks for the reality check.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

liveinphx
on 3/27/11 11:30 pm - Phoenix, AZ
On March 27, 2011 at 10:57 PM Pacific Time, charlotte180 wrote:
 I am getting RNY in a week.  I just found out from this forum that the RNY doesn't affect ghrelin, while a sleeve does.

Now I'm rethinking my decision. I have my pre-op consult with my surgeon on Tuesday, so I will discuss it with him. 

So, curious to know why RNY has a higher long-term success rate than sleeve, given the ghrelin aspect?  Or am I mistaken?

Let me start my saying I am a sleeve person so I am biased towards the sleeve. Let's leave the issue of Ghrelin aside of a moment because I do not believe RNY impacts Ghrelin in any significant way but I amy be wrong about that.
The few studies that are out there and I do not have them handy to cite show that long term (I think 5 years) RNY and sleeve patients show about the same success rate.
The other issue is that with RNY your malabsorbtion of food/calories will greatly dimish in about 2 years however the malabsorbtion of vitamins and minerals will go on forever. This puts you at risk for all sorts of major health issues if you are not very very vigilant about taking multiple doses of vitamins an minerals daily.
You also will NEVER be able to take Motrin type meds ever again with RNY.
You are also at much higher risk of having more food intolerances with RNY and that is outside of dumping which you may or may not experience.
Given that the long term stats for RNY are about on par for the sleeve you may want to spend more time researching the sleeve before you make your final decision.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Most Active