Ghrelin - RNY vs. sleeve?

charlotte180
on 3/27/11 3:57 pm - Phoenix, AZ
 I am getting RNY in a week.  I just found out from this forum that the RNY doesn't affect ghrelin, while a sleeve does.

Now I'm rethinking my decision. I have my pre-op consult with my surgeon on Tuesday, so I will discuss it with him. 

So, curious to know why RNY has a higher long-term success rate than sleeve, given the ghrelin aspect?  Or am I mistaken?

Ladytazz
on 3/27/11 4:08 pm
I don't know that it does since there aren't any long term studies on the sleeve and the ones I have heard about say that at about 5 years the stats are pretty equal. I could be wrong about that, that is just what I remember hearing.
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 4:11 pm
There are no long term studies on the sleeve.  However, the studies that are done, show that patients who get the sleeve lose as much weight and maintain just as well without melabsorption, or the loss of their pyloric valve.  Besides reduced hunger, there are many other reasons to at least look at the sleeve.  If your surgeon does the sleeve and your insurance covers it, do yourself a favor and do more research.  It's not too late to change your mind until after the surgery. 
charlotte180
on 3/27/11 4:13 pm - Phoenix, AZ
 I'm reading on Wikipedia about ghrelin, and it states that :

"At least one study found that gastric bypass surgery not only reduces the gut's capacity for food but also dramatically lowers ghrelin levels compared to both lean controls and those that lost weight through dieting alone."

Reference from:  

Plasma Ghrelin Levels after Diet-Induced Weight Loss or Gastric Bypass Surgery

91Annie15
on 3/27/11 6:49 pm - CA
 While Wiki can be a great place to begin research on any given subject, I would suggest trying more credible sources like Google Scholar or the Gale research library (if you can gain access).  With your local county library card you may be able sign onto your library's website to look at medical journals and the likes.

I don't mean offense or anything...  Its just that some people don't realize that Wiki is written and can be modified by anyone whether they be expert (peer reviewed), student, or a jerk thinks-he-knows-it-all.

-AA   
CarolineM
on 3/28/11 8:35 am
 The quote she used from Wikipedia is from New England Journal of Medicine, a peer-reviewed journal. The article is "Plasma Ghrelin Levels after Diet-Induced Weight Loss or Gastric Bypass Surgery", May 23, 2002. 

Yes, you need to evaluate the information on Wikipedia, but in this case it's pertinent and supports the theory that bypass decreases ghrelin.

Caroline

HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

jluvsme
on 3/27/11 7:20 pm - HI
You might want to be careful about what you read on Wikipedia.  Your doctor is the best resource.  I got alot out of Garth Davis book on Weight Loss Surgery and I only see the mention of ghrelin in VSG.  The thing is that it is the part of the stomach that is removed in the sleeve that secretes ghrelin so it is removed.  in RNY it is still there and that may make the difference.  Your doctor is the best source.  My doctor told me this month there was a longitudinal study published on VSG and it is head to head the same outcome with fewer complications. 
Mary Catherine
on 3/27/11 7:55 pm
 My surgeon told us tnat tne ghrelin is produced in the old part of the stomach that is bypassed with RNY.  I have never felt physical hunger since having surgery in 2007.  I believe that is partly because the ghrelin never gets into and used by the pouch.
MarilynT
on 3/28/11 12:01 am
Me too, Mary Catherine.

By the time I feel "hungry", I am a grouchy, shaky, headachy mess!!

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Sarah_Anne
on 3/27/11 8:18 pm
If it was me, I would take the sleeve 100%.  It is much closer to your natural anatomy and you can eat more normally, just smaller portions.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Most Active