Daily Atheist Devotional #233 (Religion Makes You Fat Edition)

LeaAnn
on 3/28/11 6:52 am - Huntsville, AL
A few months ago, I posted a DAD/ Conservapedia article about how atheists are fat.

http://www.thegoodatheist.net/2011/01/04/conservapedia-prove s-atheists-are-fatty-fattersons/

But, of course, as with everything printed in the parody publication, Conservapedia, that info is debatable and most likely complete bull****

Can religion make you fat?

A new study says that churchgoers are nearly twice as likely to be obese in middle age than their less godly counterparts

posted on March 25, 2011, at 4:50 PM Could the rotund Buddha be influencing other religions? According to a new study, churchgoers are more likely than the non-religious to become obese.

Could the rotund Buddha be influencing other religions? According to a new study, churchgoers are more likely than the non-religious to become obese. Photo: CC BY: Brian Jeffery Beggerly SEE ALL 27 PHOTOS

Is gluttony next to godliness? That's the conclusion of a new study that found young churchgoers were 50 percent more likely to turn into obese middle-agers than those who avoided church. The study, by Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, tracked some 2,400 men and women over a period of 18 years. Here, a brief guide to the findings:

So why are churchgoers likely to be fatter than the average heathen?
"Our best guess," says Matthew Feinstein, the study's lead author, is that "more frequent participation in church is associated with good works and people may be rewarding themselves with large meals." It's also to do with holy matrimony, says Kenneth F. Ferraro of Purdue University, quoted by CNN. "Weight gain is common after marriage and... marriage is highly valued in most religious groups."

Is there any evidence that religion makes you fat?
No. The study found no causal effects. It simply observed that people who attend church once a week were about twice as likely to put on excess weight in middle age than those who did not. And let's be accurate about it, says Andrew Brown at The Guardian. This study is about American Christianity, not religion as a whole. "Looking around the world, Christianity is probably more associated with malnourishment than obesity."

How could churches help their flocks slim down?
By encouraging them not to praise the lard, says Rachel Cernansky at Treehugger. A church full of the devout offers pastors "captive audiences to speak to about obesity and how to combat it." Some churches are already starting "grassroots efforts to help their congregations slim down," adds Jeannine Stein at the Los Angeles Times. Perhaps we might suggest cutting out the potluck "casseroles, pies and.. Jell-O salad"?

Does the Bible have any advice for the overweight?
"Food will not commend us to God," says St. Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians. "We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do." But chunky Christians can also take succor from Romans 14.2: "One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him."
Heather :o)
on 3/28/11 10:43 am
I wonder what the stats are on WLS success between relious and non-religious post ops?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
LeaAnn
on 3/29/11 2:55 am - Huntsville, AL
MY hypothesis is gonna be that southerners are more religious, and they also have fattier food.

Gimme gravy! 

Let's pray:

Hot bread

Hot meat

Hot damn

Let's eat! 

hehehhe!  smiley #5165
VictoriousSecret
on 3/28/11 12:18 pm
Praise the lard... oh how I love that line!

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!

MsBatt
on 3/29/11 3:01 am
...and the lard. (*grin*)

I grew up in the South, and I learned to cook EVERYTHING in bacon grease. Things just don't taste right to me without it. That's a big reason that the DS was the PERFECT choice for me---I can have my bacon grease AND a total cholesterol of 112.
LeaAnn
on 3/29/11 4:02 am - Huntsville, AL
(R)Amen.

The poor and uneducated have been known to be on the fatter side.

The poor and uneducated have been known to be on the religious side.

It took a formal study to figure this all out tho. *grin*

LeaAnn
on 3/31/11 12:14 pm - Huntsville, AL
Give it up for Fat Jesus!
Conan Reveals The Religion/Obesity Link 03/31/11
  video.teamcoco.com
A religious expert stops by and reveals why there might be a link between religion and obesity!
Most Active