so -- how much weight is too much weight?

Me13
on 3/29/11 11:48 pm
i'm feeling pretty good about where i am, weight-wise.  i am a comfortable size 12. 

but at only 7 months out, i have the sense that my body is not done losing weight.

i'm not reallllllllllllllly trying to lose weight anymore, but i'm just a few pounds away from my goal, and almost 10 pounds down from my surgeron's/nurse's goal for me.

i've never been this thin before in my life!  to be clear, i'm not complaining. 

but i want to know if there is there any sense about when one's body will stop losing weight? 

some people are saying i'm skinny now, yet i don't quite feel like it with my flabby thighs, arms and pannis.

any thoughts would be appreciated.
Height: 5'6".  Top Weight/Surgery Weight: 274. (August 2010)
8 weeks out:  219.6.  12 weeks out:  198. 
NORMAL WEIGHT REACHED MARCH 2011 (153 lbs.).
Goal BMI:  In the normal range, please -- somewhere between 22-24 
Clothing size 26/28 (triple X) before surgery in August of 2010. 
March 2011 clothing size:  10/12 (large)

Lap. RNY and Gallbladder Removal, Dr. Choi @ Danbury Hospital, Aug. 2010

VictoriousSecret
on 3/30/11 1:06 am
There is apparently a bounce back, so some folks recommend getting to lower than your goal weight (say, close to the lowest healthy BMI for your height) and then after the bounce back, you'll be in the middle range of BMI.

I don't know because I'm no there yet. But congrats on reaching goal so quickly!

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!

MyLady Heidi
on 3/30/11 1:43 am
I totally agree with this, and don't get your heart set on those size 2's because they are fleeting, atleast thats what happened for me.  I got to 130lbs, I doubt I can ever get back unless I am sick, my body apparently likes 145ish, because thats where I seem to be and stay and I feel fat and miserable about it, so I diet to lose weight which never seems to happen.  I should just accept that my body won't stay where I want it too and buy some new clothes, but I loved the 4's and I want to wear them again, now I am size 6 or I should say I wear the size 6's I can still wear and probably need 8's but refuse to buy them.  I am punishing myself by buying nothing until I am thin again, or thin to me.  It sucks, its all a mind game, I don't have any great advice except to expect to gain 10lbs back from your lowest.

Good Luck

walterswife
on 3/30/11 2:49 am
Well you just never know.  I reached my goal of 146 at 7-1/2 months post op.  I thought getting below that would be difficult.  Well despite the fact that I was not trying to lose anything else I am now down to a little over 120.  I have to struggle to prevent my weight from dropping further.  I am 60 and don't need to be as small as I am right now.  It's not "normal" for someone my age to wear a 0 or a 2 (unless they have always been small).  Plus I am sure I have at least 8-10 lbs of excess skin.  My PCP says he will be happy if I ultimately land between 130 and 140. I have a feeling that will be a confortable weight for me.

My guess is that you may not be finished.  All you can do is wait and see.  Many people continue to lose after 7 months.  My surgeon's theory is that your body stops when it is ready. 

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Mary Catherine
on 3/30/11 5:53 am
 My surgeon recommends getting to 20 pounds below goal during the honeymoon period.  He is fine with 30 pounds below goal.  It will probably never again be so easy to lose weight as during the first 18 months after surgery.  Many have a 20 pound bounceback regain.  Many of us like being about 10 pounds under goal.  Most people look too skinny for a while, but that does seem to fill back in.  Very rare to fine a person underweight who is three or four years out.
walterswife
on 3/30/11 6:03 am

That makes sense.  I am not looking forward to the bounceback although I am trying to assure everyone who seems concerned that it will happen.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Mary Catherine
on 3/30/11 6:11 am
 It did not hit me until 30 months.  I had started to think I was the only person that it would not happen to, then gained three pounds a month for four months.  Now I am doing Weigh****chers just to keep myself accountable.
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 6:37 am
I am 5 years and 9 months out and never heard of rebound weight till now. I use to live on obesityhelp. Hadn't been on here in a few years. I lost under my goal under a year and still there. I don't gain more than 5 lbs. . If I do I cut back on the food. I stay between 100 and 105 lbs. My height is 5 foot 2. You will learn control with food. I don't understand people putting all the weight back on saying the surgery didn't work. It is not ALL up to the surgery but up to you and what you eat. This far out I can still loose.

Amy
Most Active