Going it alone

Gloria-Caryl
on 4/10/11 6:03 am
   I'm from Arizona and I've been down that rode too. hopefully he'll give up the drinking, it will kill your marriage and your health.
busy_blond
on 4/10/11 4:03 am - Tyler, TX
i was divorced in December and had my surgery in January. I drove myself to the hospital and called my aunt to pick me up and take me home when I was released. It worked out fine. I really didn't want anyone hovering over me in the hospital, all I did was sip, walk & sleep anyway, very boring. I managed by myself at home from the day I was discharged with no problems. Hope it all goes as easily for you.
Leann

Gloria-Caryl
on 4/10/11 6:05 am
 Wow, good girl! You are an inspiration to me, thanks
happyhealing
on 4/10/11 4:04 am
I managed by myself at home too, I didnt want someone catering to me either.  Are you having the RNY?
Gloria-Caryl
on 4/10/11 6:07 am
 Yes, I'm having RNY but I think it's a few mos. down the road. I'm trying to make sure I can mentally be ready and feel supported, thanks
DSn NOT BSn
on 4/10/11 10:02 am
Just in case you forgot to read this-> http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4265423/PRE-OPS-Never -had-surgery-Heres-what-to-expect/page,2/#36107069

GREAT PREPARATION for ya...sure wish I'd have had such information BEFORE MY SURGERY and after.  Well, actually, I kind of did...my daughter had the DS 10 months before I did , so at least I had ''some'' general idea of what to expect.

YOUR FAITH will help a lot...I know it did for me! I was never alone!

red Rose            Let Your Heart See What Your Eyes Cannot.  
* WWW.DSFACTS.COM
* Duodenal Switch Information Zone->
www.duodenalswitch.com/
* Dr. Hess' first DS patient 23 yrs ago->http://www.dshess.com/->Click link left column->First BSD/DS
* DS laparascopic animation->www.youtube.com/watch
  * DS animation->www.youtube.com/watch
* Vetted DS Surgeons-> http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeo ns.html
* DS Forum->http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id,5357/

* Vitamins Source->
www.vitalady.com
Be the kind of woman that,when your feet hit the floor in the morning,the devil says,"OH NO, She's Up!"
SW/317CW/160s-170s   

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 5:11 am - Santa Cruz, CA
If you're having the laproscopic procedure, you shouldn't have too many problems.  I know I actually felt better not having to entertain people while I was in recovery.  I spent most of my time gently moviing around my house, keeping myself fed and hydrated, and only used my pain meds once or twice.  I think you'll be surprised at how easy it will be.

Good luck!!
Gloria-Caryl
on 4/10/11 6:10 am
 Yes, it will be laproscopic. I'm such a people person I guess. I do have my kitty's around to love me. Your before and after is amazing. You are beautiful
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 7:06 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Why, Thank you, Dahlink!!

You'll find that you will do fine;  just don't get too focused on little things that might come up.  There will always be little aches and pains that are new to you so just learn to deal with them.  Of course, don't ignore the REAL pain, because that is there for a reason. 

I think what is really cool about this entire process is how we seem to become more and more independent.  I have seen so many people that have spent their lives catering to others, not paying attention to their own needs, become more aware that they do have the right to expect and receive caring and thoughtfulness from their families, instead of only giving it.  Of course, that can lead to some real hectic changes in family dynamics!!

Something that was very helpful to me was to learn my "High Level Alarm" or fullness signal.  Due to the surgery, we don't have the same feeling of being stuffed to the gills when we eat;  I found that when I had enough in my pouch, my nose starts to run.  (Still does!)  Some folks belch, others sneeze.  It can be very helpful in avoiding the painful lessons of "Foamies" or "being stuck".  Believe me, having been through these episodes, I don't wish them on anyone!  Except maybe the cranky old guy at the laundromat who called me "fatso"!!

Just remember:  walkwalkwalk, sipsipsip, chewchewchew.  And when you get home from the hospital, nap as needed and stay off the scale.

Best wishes,

happyhealing
on 4/10/11 8:22 am
Hey your the first person I've seen on here from Santa Cruz!!  I was raised in Boulder Creek, now living in Bakersfield.  My mom lives in Felton.  How cool, just thought I'd say "Hi"
Most Active