New person-Kind of long Sorry

kahlana
on 4/11/11 11:27 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
So my doc has reccommended weight loss surgery for me. I found this place while doing research on the different surgeries out there.
A little history about me:
Until my pregnancies I never really had a problem with my weight. After my youngest was born was when the problems started. i was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia when she was about 3 years old. At that time i weighed 255 pounds. My doctor told me to lose the weight and I would be in less pain. I believed her and busted my butt. i worked out despite the fact that i was in agony. i just modified the exercizes and did more of the modified ones so that I could work up a sweat. i cut out all junk food to the point that people hated to eat with me because I was so stiff about what went into my mouth. And eventually i lost over 100 pounds. The problem was it didnt matter that I was skinnier, I was still in the same amount of pain. Over the years I read everything I could get my hands on about FMS and tried different medications when I had insurance coverage available. Then 3 years ago i moved to Wisconsin and was finally close to a tribal clinic (yes I am Native American) which meant regular medical care at little to no cost for me. I handed over as much of my medical records as I had to my new doctor and started talking treating my FMS with him. He tried Celebrex then Neurotinin for a about 6 months each. Then we went to Lyrica. I was on that for 1 month and gained 40 pounds. I called him when i saw how much I had gained and begged him to take me off it. I would rather live with the pain than gain the weight back. Too late.
In March of 2009 I went for my annual check up along with all the newly 40s stuff a woman is supposed to have checked. "Somethings" were found during the physical so I was sent for ultrasounds and MRIs. What the docs saw on those warranted an emergency hysterectomy. Thanks to the FMS and being a slow healer I was down for about 6 months. But as soon as I could get up and down the stairs without needing help up the last few I went back to riding my bike and walking back and forth to work (4miles daily 5 days a week or more). Also my partner heats our home with wood so I was out in the woods chopping and throwing logs right along side him. We are also avid hunters, fishers, and gardeners so we are constantly outside.
So 2 weeks ago when the weather got beautiful again here I walked the mile  to work and the mile home. that was  mistake. By the time I got home my stomach was in cramps so bad I could barely breathe. That was 2 weeks ago and I am still dealing with the cramps anytime I try to walk any distance, sit too long, stand too long, lay down too long. You get the picture. I went  to a new doc on the 3rd day and explained what had happened. She sent me for blood work and a CT scan and suggested I seriously consider the Lap Band surgery depending on what came back. on the test results. Now the results are back and except for slightly elevated tri-glycerides I am clean and clear (the nurses' words). Well great but I am still in pain. Also 2 weeks ago I was grouching about having to find a tailor to take in my size 18 pants because they were too loose. Now 2 weeks later I cant wear them at all because my stomach is so swollen they wont button.
Anyway, I said all that to say this... I am seriously considering the surgery HOWEVER I am very concerned about the diet because I eat a lot of fish and venison and fresh veggies that we grow ourselves. I enjoy those foods. I like the taste and I REALLY dont want to give them up. Will I eventually be able to eat those foods again? 
Anyway this is my "history" of sorts. Hope I didn't bore you all to tears by this point. I thinki I am just beyond frustrated that nothing I am doing to lose weight is working and instead Im being thwarted by my own limitations that I don't seem to be able to get past.
Fran-I Am
on 4/11/11 11:41 pm
Hi Kahlana,

We sound similar with our experiences with meds and weight gain. I, however, gained the most on Neurontin. I have just recently started on Lyrica. I do not have FM but have been medicated similar. I chose the DS (Duodenal Switch) for my surgery of choice. I too enjoy food and with the DS I will still be able to eat foods like bacon, steak and eggs. etc To me it is the most liberal of the surgeries with foods. Please do check out all of the different surgeries before you decide. Also do not forget to read the revision forum frequently before you decide. That helped me a lot to make an informed decision.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
Amber L.
on 4/11/11 11:45 pm - Sweden
You can absolutely eat those foods on the Lap Band. It's simply restrictive, so the most important thing is to get protein, which you can get from the fish and venison. Take the time to look into the four different types of surgeries: LapBand, VSG, RNY and DS. The LapBand has, on average, the lowest weight lost and the highest percentage of repeat procedures, at least from what I have read. That said, many are very successful. Depending on how much you have to lose, it could be best for you. Unfortunately, the fibro won't be aided by weight loss, though other body aches can be.

Read a lot. Come back and ask questions! Good luck!
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

Mary Catherine
on 4/12/11 12:03 am
I had RNY in 2007. I now maintain my goal weight, eat whatever I want and enjoy no longer having to diet. With the lapband and VSG you have to live on small amounts of food for life.

With RNY the food I eat is malabsorbed and does not cause weight gain for me. I believe DS has even better malabsorption but they have problems with eating too many carbs. I eat whatever I want but fill up quickly,

Check out all your options carefully.
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/12/11 12:05 am
Instead of lap-band - consider a Sleeve. Look and do research. There are a lot of people who are OK with Lap band but there are so many that have a real problem with it.
Research before you decide what surgery you will have.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sfmini
on 4/12/11 12:06 am
I agree with the others, research, research, research.
Many have success with the band, but way to many have trouble and have to get the band out, and sometimes a revision surgery. The band is also high maintenance, needing fills and unfills so be prepared for that if you go the way of the band.
My dentist had a terrible time with his, constant barfing, and had to have it out. Regained the weight plus more.
Read the individual forums for each surgery as well as the revision forum to make sure you make an educated decision as to which surgery is right for you.

kahlana
on 4/12/11 8:58 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Thanks everyone! I will definitely be checking out the other options. My doc said she wanted me to consider lap band but if i need the weight loss surgery i will consider the others as well.
Most Active