Study: Long Term Outcomes of Lap Band

psychomom
on 4/13/11 1:10 am - China Grove, NC
Why are you even posting to this it was aimed at the person I replied too. So it has nothing to do with you.
Things that bother me  ?
People who jump in something that does not concern them.
People who , b/c they had a bad experience , think something cannot or will not work for ANYone else.

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 1:37 am, edited 4/13/11 1:37 am
actually you can't control *****sponds to you on a public forum (other than blocking the poster) - but you don't have to respond back ??

i saw pumpkin just adding to the discussion of a "negative band experience" - i see it also concerns her, as she & her daughter have had issues.

i'm very doubtful the OP posted this to create a surgery war.

psychomom
on 4/13/11 1:43 am - China Grove, NC
Yes the OP and i have already talked and she did not post it for this reason . It is the others who feel it is their lifes mission to discredit and ruin the band that grate my nerves. That is who my posts are addressed to . The OP just passed along a random study .Not her fault!

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 1:51 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On April 13, 2011 at 8:10 AM Pacific Time, psychomom wrote:
Why are you even posting to this it was aimed at the person I replied too. So it has nothing to do with you.
Things that bother me  ?
People who jump in something that does not concern them.
People who , b/c they had a bad experience , think something cannot or will not work for ANYone else.
Only.....because I can.

I think it's important for everyone to share their experience....Don't you ? In fact here is a whole bunch of people who have shared theirs. I only copied two out of the 5 pages, so if anybody wants to read more they can just click the link.
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4304076/PLEASE-RESPOND-Expla in-your-Lap-Band-AGB-Experience/

Topic: PLEASE RESPOND !Explain your Lap Band/AGB Experience

zee starrlite
1 Revision (12/20/10) Member Since: 06/05/03
[Latest Posts]

Okay, Guys & Dolls  When someone asks about the Band, they should get  the feel of everyone who has been banded.  We can refer them here, to this post.

Are you currently on your Band journey?
Have you reached your "sweet spot"?
How long have you been banded?
How much have you lost?
Can you eat a variety of healthy foods?

Have you gone through fills & unfills never finding a happy medium?
Do you PB?
Keep your Band tight?
Have acid reflux?
Night cough?
Has your Band slipped?
Have you had a dilation - specify stomach or esophagus?
Do you have pain?
Have you had your Band removed? If so any damage to any other organs?
Have you revised - to what surgery?

Any other experience you'd like to tell us about?

Would you recommend the Band?

Lap Band 3/30/2005  - 12/20/2010

Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post Contact Friend Block

zee starrlite
1 Revision (12/20/10) Member Since: 06/05/03
[Latest Posts]

My Lap Band began working during my 3rd year after a dilated esophagus (symptoms were night cough, choking at night, reflux) then complete unfill, I for the first time received some real restriction.  My Band shockingly worked "as advertised".  I could eat everything, even healthy fruits and veggies  in smaller portions so my Band was never too tight. I did however have the beautiful benefit of the Band dimming my hunger in a way that felt like "magic"

During my 5th year, I had no symptoms (except I was able to eat more, and got hungry more often)  but got diagnosed with  a dilated esophagus again after a routine UGI.  This time, it did not resolve with an "unfill".

During my first year, right out the gate I had a flipped port, shattered port, punctured hosing, complete obstruction for 8days with no medical help available - this was 2005 when no one touched your band except for your surgeon.

My Band has been removed and I have not yet revised to another WLS. 

My removal went smooth.  My surgeon said everything inside of me was good so no nasty tales of the band adhering to other organs.

I absolutely loved the way my Band worked when it worked.

I lost a total of 116lbs at my peak.

Since being unfilled and then unbanded I have gained 30+/- pounds.

I am not dead set against the Band, BUT I do not believe it is a long term solution AND it really does not work for everyone.  No WLS works for everyone. People have to go into Banding knowing the pros & cons - I did! 

I love it when DSers say "think twice, cut once"  I love that and I love DSers!!!  I am Leila though - always different so I may cut thrice.  And absolutely no regrets (I love you Dr. Roslin :)!) about it, that is the way it is supposed to go down.

I WISH YOU ALL BEAUTIFUL THINGS,
Leila

Lap Band 3/30/2005  - 12/20/2010

Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post Contact Friend Block

theresa R.
Van Wert, OH
Lap Band (02/13/06) Member Since: 09/15/04
[Latest Posts]

Are you currently on your Band journey?   Yes
Have you reached your "sweet spot"?  Yes
How long have you been banded?  5 years
How much have you lost? 220 lbs.
Can you eat a variety of healthy foods? Yes.  They only foods I cannot tolerate are Mozerella Cheese Sticks (which are not a good choice anyway) and the huge pretzels you see at baseball games, etc.

Have you gone through fills & unfills never finding a happy medium? No
Do you PB? Only 2x in 5 years....both after eating ham
Keep your Band tight? No
Have acid reflux? Never
Night cough? Twice...both after a fill from a Dr. who was too aggressive with the fill..not my band Dr
Has your Band slipped? No
Have you had a dilation - specify stomach or esophagus? Once, after the same aggressive fill, floro showed dialation of the esophogus and a 4 weeks unfill solved the problem.
Do you have pain? Only in the port area occasionally after doing crunches during exercise
Have you had your Band removed? If so any damage to any other organs? No
Have you revised - to what surgery? No

Any other experience you'd like to tell us about?  The band has done its job for me. I have lost 220lbs. and am thrilled with the life that the WLS has offered me.  I am not one to tolerate pills, and the band offered me an option that didn't involve a lifetime of supplements or vitamins.

Would you recommend the Band  ABSOLUTELY!!

Theresa R. =)
LapBand Surgery $13,950-2 Year Gym Membership $795.-TummyTuck&Lip0 $9950.00
Seeing those skinny *****es from High School and never
looking better---$PRICELESS

Janine P.
Long Island, NY
Alfons Pomp Revision (05/03/11) Member Since: 03/29/07
[Latest Posts]

Are you currently on your Band journey?  - Nope - I'm off the boat
Have you reached your "sweet spot"? - I did
How long have you been banded? - 3 1/2 years
How much have you lost? 125 at my peak
Can you eat a variety of healthy foods?  Yes - I just couldn't eat heavy starch like french fries or italian bread

Have you gone through fills & unfills never finding a happy medium?  - No, I found good restriction
Do you PB? - I did very often, yes
Keep your Band tight?  - Yes I did
Have acid reflux?  - No I didn't
Night cough? - No
Has your Band slipped? - No it did not
Have you had a dilation - specify stomach or esophagus? - No
Do you have pain?  - No I didn't
Have you had your Band removed? If so any damage to any other organs?  - Yes it was.  No other organs were damaged but my port was disconnected and the lesions were insane; so much so that my surgeon couldn't finish my revision.
Have you revised - to what surgery?  I wanted a DS but ended up with a VSG.  I *will* have my DS this year.

Any other experience you'd like to tell us about?  It's too easy to break the rules with the band.  You can only be "perfect" for so long before the devil takes over your brain.  It's just too easy to cheat.  And don't hand me that "It's a life-style change" bull**** - we're all human and we will all cheat at some point.

Would you recommend the Band?  For people with 75 pounds or less to lose, yes.  More than that, no.
Janine   Me on Youtube 

redbabe08
1 Lap Band (10/11/07) Member Since: 10/04/08
[Latest Posts]

Are you currently on your Band journey? - been @ goal for a while now
Have you reached your "sweet spot"? - that's a myth
How long have you been banded? - 3+ yrs
How much have you lost? - 76lbs
Can you eat a variety of healthy foods? - yes

Have you gone through fills & unfills never finding a happy medium? - no
Do you PB? - no
Keep your Band tight? - no
Have acid reflux? - no
Night cough? - no
Has your Band slipped? - twice, both times corrected w/unfills
Have you had a dilation - specify stomach or esophagus? - no
Do you have pain? - no
Have you had your Band removed? If so any damage to any other organs? - no
Have you revised - to what surgery? - n/a

Any other experience you'd like to tell us about? 

Would you recommend the Band? -
for a restrictive surgery only, i'd recommend the sleeve

Michelle J.
IL
Brad Watkins Lap Band (09/04/07) Member Since: 09/17/03
[Latest Posts]

Are you currently on your Band journey?   Yep
Have you reached your "sweet spot"? after 3 yrs I finally think so
How long have you been banded? 3 and a half yrs
How much have you lost?  71 lbs
Can you eat a variety of healthy foods? That varies on a day to day basis

Have you gone through fills & unfills never finding a happy medium? just got home from my latest unfill about 30 minutes ago
Do you PB? yes
Keep your Band tight? not really
Have acid reflux? my original surgery cured my reflux, my latest fill made me too tight and it recently came back
Night cough? yes
Has your Band slipped? no
Have you had a dilation - specify stomach or esophagus? i haven't had an endoscopy, but so far no symptoms of either
Do you have pain? just lately with being too tight there was a painful knot between my shoulder blades constantly
Have you had your Band removed? If so any damage to any other organs?  i wish
Have you revised - to what surgery? i wish

Any other experience you'd like to tell us about?  in less than a year after my original surgery I required a 2nd surgery to replace my flipped port

Would you recommend the Band? if you like to gamble and have about 75 lbs to lose go for it, but if you require more significant weight loss there are othher better options out there.  Also if you have co morbidities please check into other surgery types that might offer you a better cure rate.

Every blade of grass has its Angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, grow."
-The Talmud

Pumpkin X .
Califreakinfornia , CA
1 Lap Band (06/19/06) Member Since: 12/20/05
[Latest Posts]

Hey Meeshee,
 What were your symptoms of a flipped port. itty bitty hooker
Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post Delete Post Edit Post Quick Edit Post

Michelle J.
IL
[Latest Posts]

I'm guessing my port flipped early on since I never felt it happen.  My 1st clue was that it was always difficult to find my port for fills, and the only thing I noticed was at night I'd feel an odd pulling sensation in my abdomen-It went away completley and the port is only noticeable if I'm running my hand over my abdomen.

Every blade of grass has its Angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, grow."
-The Talmud

Pumpkin X .
Califreakinfornia , CA
[Latest Posts]

I have intermittent pain next to my port area with intermittent burning and stinging pain. itty bitty hooker
Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post Delete Post Edit Post Quick Edit Post

Michelle J.
IL
[Latest Posts]

Any difficulty accessing the port?  I guess that could be a flipped port, but not sure.

-The Talmud

Pumpkin X .
Califreakinfornia , CA
[Latest Posts]

My ins considers my WLS to be successful and will not do any fills on me at present. I am having an endoscopy done later this week. I don't think they are going to get a good look at my port this way. itty bitty hooker

Michelle J.
IL
[Latest Posts]

Yeah uhm, an endoscopy won't address port issues.  Mine was definitively diagnosed when they tried to do my fill under fluoro-the xray clearly showed the port sitting sideways in my abdomen.

-The Talmud

Pumpkin X .
Califreakinfornia , CA
[Latest Posts]

I'm waiting for open enrollment so I can switch ins and hopefully revise to the sleeve. I need to lose IMO another 50 lbs, and I don't think any of the malabsorbitive surgeries will be the answer. itty bitty hooker
Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post
bgrandmabear
on 4/13/11 1:25 am
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 4:01 am
You chose your username very carefully, didn't you?
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/13/11 12:38 am - Tuvalu
On April 12, 2011 at 9:49 AM Pacific Time, psychomom wrote:
While it might be good info and it does qualify as a long term study the info is not really relevant to what we as newly banded ppl should expect .Like a previous poster stated with the entry of the pars flaccida application and the newer band models in 14 yrs I think we will all see great improvements and less issues. In fact there there are studies that support this fact. Another member on our board has posted one in fact.
I find it really  weird that someone who has chosen a different surgery would take the time to research and bash another one. Sad.

"I find it really  weird that someone who has chosen a different surgery would take the time to research and bash another one. Sad."

Are you operating on the assumption that all of us who "bash" the band have only had ONE wls?  Because many of us are LapBanding survivors who have lived with the band longer than you have and who have had many problems and, I think, have AT LEAST as much "right" as the next guy to discuss the product they formerly owned and which made them sick...don't you?
Rors
on 4/12/11 4:04 am - Johnson City, TN
Not sure why people are trying to shoot the messager, I am pretty sure she didn't conduct the study. People are yelling it is old news, Well the study and its results were pulblished less them 1 month ago.  The study seems very relavant to a WLS messageboard and it allowed others to respond that new te*****ues are being used, good infomation for people to have. What I don't get is why all the Lap Band people are jumping down the OP's throat for posting it., Like I said. WLS messageboard, a VERY recently released study on a type of WLS surgery = damn good post get off her back.

So Blessed!
on 4/12/11 4:32 am

"The study seems very relavant to a WLS messageboard and it allowed others to respond that new te*****ues are being used, good infomation for people to have."

This
Phyllis C.
on 4/12/11 4:07 am
While techniques have changed, I doubt there will be much difference in the long term studies to come.  Most of the folks that I know that have lost their bands had them placed after 2005.

Congratulations to all who have managed to keep your band and be successful. 

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Most Active