Weight loss Surgery diets

kahlana
on 4/13/11 12:09 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I've been looking at the eating plans for all of the surgeries and i am wondering.... couldn't just follow the eating plans and lose weight instead of having to go through the surgery? Just seems like that would be the better option (i hate surgery) for me.
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 12:20 am - Charlotte, NC
You might just try that. It can't hurt you and you might be one of the ones it works for, but has dieting worked for you in the past? Just an honest query. This isn't a magic cure for obesity. It's a TOOL and if not used as such, every person will regain the weight. People eat for different reasons, but unless you/we all address the emotions that cause overeating, it's difficult to keep the weight off once lost.
If you can do it without the surgery, I'd sure not subject myself to surgery.
Best of luck to you whatever you choose!
shannn
on 4/13/11 12:23 am - Knoxville , TN
You can absolutely follow a diet and lose weight. Just ask me...I did it about 100 times before I had surgery. Weigh****chers, Jenny Craig, Atkins, or a surgeon's dieting~~ many people have been very successful on diet plans. Okay, you've done that...check it off your list and get busy living a skinny life.

Or wait! As soon as you go OFF the diet, back ON comes the weight!! For me (and I know this isn't true for everyone) I couldn't keep weight off.

Surgery should be the last resort, in my opinion. It's a very serious decision. But for many people, it's truly the only way they can make the change that needs to be made. In my case, I was dealing with hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes, and the genetics of a father who died of a massive coronary at age 52. I knew that I was headed down the same path unless I truly changed myself. Another diet just wasn't going to do it.

Only you know what's true for you.
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/13/11 12:48 am

This is your option. I did that many times. Until my body no longer responded to any diets. It would take me 2-3 weeks of diet and exercises to lose 5 lbs... only to put it back after a weekend with normal (but not excessive) eating.  I finally gave up and opted for surgery.
The big difference is that now I can have a protein bar (one) and I will be full, satisfied for 2-4 hrs.  Before the surgery - 2-3 bars may keep my appetite at bay for 2 hrs... if that.

I do get full after 1 cup of food. Almost 3 years post op.

I am one of the "dumpers" but in my case - it is reactive hypoglycemia that keeps me away from sugars and carbs.  So - in a way - a strong will on my part helps me ... Post opp RNY - I am on a diet.  Permanant life style. But with the restrictions and consequences when I do not follow my diet - it is so much easier to stick with it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

datorres
on 4/13/11 1:12 am
Hi Hala, I too have reactive hypoglycemia. Do all carbs set that off or just the starchy, refined carbs?
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/13/11 1:24 am
Most carbs - more than 10 gr in a serving may set me off. Refined are worse, but I alse have problem with the so called "goor carbs".
There are some that I can tolerate. i.e. some fruits: berries, clementanes, grapefruits (but oranges - not so much). Any carbs in natural nuts (but I may get a reaction on nut butters with added sugar.) rice, beans, bread, potatoes, tomatoes, carrors (cooked) etc.. are a big no-no for me. 
I tolerate very well or green vegetables, cheeses, Greek yogurt, etc.  But problem with regular mil (too much sugar) or normal yogurt (even plain).  
That reaction may not be 100% of the time, but if a food will cause a reaction in my 3 times - it goes on my "do not eat" list.  I hate the RH symtoms.  And I know that that may eventually made me regain weight.... 
BTW: even NSA fudgesicles made a crash a couple of times... not fun...  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

datorres
on 4/13/11 2:11 am
Hala would  you mind messaging me so we can talk? I couldn't go into your profile.
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/13/11 2:24 am
I sent a request to add you as a friend. Once we are "friends" you will be able to see my profile and read my blog... I wrote a lot about my journey...
You can send me a personal PM message also.

nascar24n48
on 4/13/11 11:29 am

Hello there "old timer"! Wanted to read your updates and saw it was private too. Read many of your profile posts early on. We had surgery about the same time.  Add me... add me. Thanks.

Preop 242  Height 5'4"  Current: 145 Want to get back to 135. ZERO Complications! ZERO Vomiting  (Chew, chew, chew)! ZERO Regrets!

1Haute Diva
on 4/13/11 1:26 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
In the beginning I thought the same way but for me, I could diet and lose a good amount of weight but then feel empty, like I was still hungry. So as soon as I'd go a few days without the full diet regimen I would gain weight.

I'm thinking the smaller stomach will give me a fuller feeling therefore I won't feel the need to eat (once I get past head hunger that is).
- Shaw

Most Active