less than a week from surgery gitters

sunnycapecod143
on 4/15/11 5:24 am
 I'll start with my surgery date. April 20th. 5 Days Away!!!!!!

I am a type 2 diabetic. They started  me on insulin about 4 months ago. It was my own fault. About 2 years ago, I was gaining a lot of weight after being on diabetes meds. I felt like crap. And maybe  a little  denying my situation. I took my self off the meds. I did loose a bit of weight. But not enough to make me happy. 

Last fall I went to the seminar about this rny surgery. (after knowing about 15 people who have done it, some with success others who gained it back) Now I find out I have to have my blood sugar under control first.  UHHGG! That is when my endocrinologist put me on insulin. I take 30-40 units a day along with 4 pills a day just for the diabetes. 
  I am gaining weight like crazy now. average a pound a week. It is freaking me out. I now weigh more than I ever have in my whole life. I was so scared they wouldn't do the surgery. But they are. I am so grateful.
  I was also a pack and a half a day smoker. Wow! That has been hard. I failed my first nicotine test. I knew I would I had just quit the day before. Ya stupid I know .. hoping for a mistake somewhere ?? (yes I know better) So Yesterday I had my last pre-op appointment. This is the first time it has been brought up that i failed that test.  I had been avoiding ... Like I do so may things. He sent me for a test right then and there. Now I know I haven't smoked. But panic strikes.. What if I was around too many people smoking. What if ... what if ...They called today to tell me I passed. YAH! If I can do that after smoking for 25+ years I am feeling like I can do anything.  
  Thank you for reading ALL of this I know I am rambling .. but this is my point of posting: I am scared to death! Any last minute advice? Anything I should bring to the hospital I might not think of? Anyone want to hold my hand for the next few days? ((JOKE))

sarasar7
on 4/15/11 7:27 am
Hi I am having surgery monday I am scared also. I am taking a pillow for the ride home coloured.for holding my tummy. Chapstick, tic tacs for dry mouth. Loose clothes to wear home,robe, crocs for walking. Cell phone and charger. I hope they give me something to relax as I go thru the doors. Best of luck. Sara
sunnycapecod143
on 4/15/11 7:34 am
 I am making a list as I saw your post. Cell charger! would of forgot for sure. Pillow is a great idea. And please yes tell me they give me something for nerves asap when I get there! thank you for responding! good luck to you too.Tonya
MsBatt
on 4/15/11 10:19 am
This is probably NOT what you want to hear at this point in time---but it's better you hear it now than after you've had surgery.

While 84% of diabetics who choose the RNY achieve total resolution within the first few months, at five years post-op that number has dropped significantly, even in patients who have NOT regained weight. If you want a truly durable treatment for your diabetes, take a look at the DS (duodenal switch) form of WLS. Better than 98% of diabetics who choose the Ds achieve total resolution within the first few weeks, and even at more than five years post-op, we're NOT seeing it come back in any significant number of patients.

The DS is so very effective at treating diabetes that surgeons in Europe have been doing the intestinal portion of the DS even on NON-obese diabetics for several years now. Clinical trials have started here in the US, too.

The DS also has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss stats, and the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs.

This is just something that you need to know about BEFORE you have any form of WLS. You can learn more about the DS on the DS board right here at OH, or at www.dsfacts.com I also suggest you visit the Revision board :

As we say on the DS board---think twice, cut once!
Most Active