Antibiotics after RNY

Joanne M.
on 4/20/11 2:19 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
I have the worst sore throat, headache and just started with the body aches and am going to see by PCP in 30 minutes.  Just curious if anyone ever had problems taking antibiotics after RNY.  I know I'll have to crush them since I'm so early out.  Any side effects?  Anything I should tell me doc about which ones are the best for RNY patients?

Thanks.

Joannt

Kelly-RN
on 4/20/11 2:26 am - TN
Many come in liquid form....they have the drug books to check for you.

Good Luck,
Kelly

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 4/20/11 2:57 am
Hope this isn't too late but I've found liquids or chewables are great for us, the3 day zithro type pacs don't work for post ops. We don't absorb enough of it to make a difference, and we lose most of the dosage that way. If you get antibiotics and after a day or two there is no change, call your doc - you're not absorbing correctly and get a different type. Some of us have to play around till we find what works for us post op. No capsules is the best rule and hope you feel better.
Jen 9 yrs post op
siberiancat
on 4/20/11 8:47 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
i don't take them unless absolutely necessary - they destroy the bacteria in the gut.  It takes more than yogurt to get the gut back in balance.

It also promotes our being resistent to their effectiveness in subsequent episodes.  Take them when absolutely necessary, otherwise rest, take fluids - the home remedies, etc. and with most things the body will fight off the offending virus.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

MsBatt
on 4/20/11 10:06 am, edited 4/20/11 10:07 am
Just FYI---antibiotics don't affect viruses, only bacterial infections. So if your doc tells you you have a virus and then gives you antibiotics---don't take them, and CHANGE DOCTORS! (*grin*)

Edited because I can't spell.

Most Active