My Dream/Nightmare of the WLS Titanic

Dionysus
on 4/24/11 7:22 pm
I had a daydream/nightmare of the Titanic, when I was in a half-asleep/half-awake state, and thought of people being unsupportive of fellow WLS patients.  I “dreamed” that all the passengers on the Titanic were people that had chosen to go on a WLS journey together.  The ship was sailing towards a destination that was a healthy happy life with no food issues for everybody on board.  The iceberg was there to prevent people from reaching their WLS goal.  Nobody on the journey was perfect, and all hit the iceberg.  The people in the lifeboats were successful after hitting the iceberg.  The people in the water were unsuccessful, and were screaming and begging for help.  Some of the people in the lifeboats extended their hands to help those that were in the water, and saved them.  Others in the lifeboats looked at their fellow WLS patients in the water with contempt and disgust, shouting at them, “It’s your own fault!  You should have been compliant in getting on the lifeboat in the first place like you were supposed to!”, while they watched them drowning.  The people that were helped onto the lifeboats hugged and thanked those that helped them on board, not noticing that the people that extended their hands to help them wept, because they couldn’t save more.
Tammy0822
on 4/24/11 7:30 pm - Kings Park, NY
I am hittling the "LIKE" button

SW:220 HW:267 CW:152 GW:120

Donnamarie
on 4/24/11 9:20 pm - NY
D,

Everyone really needs to read this and absorb it.  You are right, we are all on this journey together and we all chose different paths to get there.  But that is what life is about, choices. We all need to respect one anothers choices.

Definite LIKE on this post.

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

kahlana
on 4/24/11 9:50 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Like !!!!
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/24/11 9:52 pm
big hugs to you, D, for being such a sweetie.  I've been on OH pretty much every day for a couple years now - it wouldn't be going to far to say it's a transfer addiction! - and I've have seen that most people are mostly helpful to most other people.

but, we are an extremely varied bunch!  sometimes that's an advantage.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Susan S.
on 4/24/11 11:03 pm - Roselle, NJ
Beautifully said.....as always. I had a bit of negativity on OH I didn't even know about until I waded through 23 PMs last night......offering support. OH has made all the difference for me.......and your metaphor was spot on. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

martitalinda
on 4/24/11 11:04 pm, edited 4/24/11 11:05 pm
 I personally choose to support and encourage all regardless ... compliance or non-compliance is not for me to judge or to even concern myself  and should deems no one unworthy of help ... I will extend my hand to a brother or sista in need or not in need each and every day regardless of WLS or not .... we are our brothers keepers and helpers one of another ... and I will help a brother out up until the point that his/her yoke becomes a burden heavier than mine and can sink us both.

Your dream is very meaningful ... and has great significance ... It can also be applied to those who attempt knowingly or not to bring down their fellowmen without knowing the price/cost of what they have had to overcome to be where they are today.....

Either way ... there is no excuse for harshness... bitterness ... and non-support ... and not being able to look back and help each and all ...I will always pay it forward and I shall never forget from where I came... I will share my journey.. my talents... and all else within my means .... ALWAYS ...  

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

mollypitcher08
on 4/25/11 12:14 am
well said.  and D. thaks for your meaningful posting.  We ARE all in this journey together, just different TYPES of surgery to get there.  Thanks again.  Mary
(deactivated member)
on 4/25/11 12:20 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
I like this very much! But what if you threw them a life raft and tried to pull them UP BEFORE they drowned and they refused and started shouting at you and telling you they don't need your help...and as result of refusing your help they drowned anyway by not listening to good advice.
NoEscape21
on 4/25/11 1:25 am - Apopka, FL
LOVE THIS! As much as some of us deal with lack of support in our own lives, we really need to be supportive of each other on here! Really great post.
  Unicorns fart rainbows and magic!              HW:272 SW:260 GW:120
 Blog:  Weighed Down: A blog about becoming a former fat girl
Youtube: 
No Escape's Channel Join: The Pin -Up Girls: Vixens in progressLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active