Coffee

Yolanda_7691
on 4/28/11 7:21 am - Fontana, CA
Is decaf coffee ok after 1 mo surgery?
   Life is what you make of it.
Janine P.
on 4/28/11 7:25 am - Long Island, NY
Some doctors say yes, some say no.

I say try a small cup and see how you feel.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

nomoresugar
on 4/28/11 7:32 am
Decaf is should fine.  It took me a while before any coffee even tasted good.  If you drink it and it bothers you, obviously you would stop. 
Lucycat
on 4/28/11 7:46 am - Lewiston, ID
I was drinking regular, strong coffee one month after surgery and I haven't had any problems.  I just make sure to drink the equivalent in water to offset the dehydration effect.

Sue

CAnutfarmer
on 4/28/11 9:41 am
Decaf coffee and tea were on my first week and after food list.

HW 254 SW 247 CW 162 GW 145  

First 5K                                        37:48
First Trail 1/2 Marathon            3hr 30min
First Regular 1/2 Marathon     3hr 7min
1/2 Marathon 5/20/12               3hr 6min
msromagnola
on 4/28/11 9:49 am
My doc ok'd regular coffee 3 weeks out - thank goodness - otherwise, why would life be worth living?  :)  (Joke - kind of).

MSROMAGNOLA
Sharyn S.
on 4/28/11 10:40 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Ok, here's the deal with coffee, decaf or fully leaded.  Either one contains a lot of tannic acids.  These acids can increase your risk of getting ulcers.  Now, after RNY, you have considerably less real estate to give over to an ulcer.

Caffeine is NOT the culprit.

I, personally, was a HUGE (no pun intended) coffee drinker prior to surgery.  I did not drink it for the first year post-op.  Not because of the increased ulcer risk.  I could not fathom the thought of drinking it.  The mere thought of coffee made me nauseous.  I drank chai tea lattes, instead.

But, one morning, I woke up and really wanted a cup.  Been drinking 5-6 cups of the fully leaded stuff ever since.  No ulcers.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

4catz
on 4/28/11 10:54 am
I've been drinking regular coffee since 2 1/2 weeks out.  I started with just a little then increased it back to my normal 2 cups a day by 3 months out.  I've never had any problems with it.  It was on the surgeons do not have list but that is the only thing that I didn't follow to a "T".  One can only do so much. 

Surgery Weight: 275
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 12:39 pm
I was given regular coffee in the hospital before discharge and have had it most days since.  I've never struggled with fluid intake, so I don't worry about dehydration due to any diuretic effect.  It also does not cause me to experience any palpitations, anxiousness, insomnia, or other complications.  YMMV.
Jshivery
on 4/29/11 12:04 pm
Revision on 03/10/16
Wow...Slim, you look great!  Your first picture doesn't even look like you....Very nice!!  Congrats on your great weight loss..

Most Active