OT-Freezing Onions?

EternalPromiseofBloo
d

on 4/29/11 2:06 am - FRANKLIN, IN
Can you freeze onions? I am tired of having to chop onions every time I make something. I want to dice them up and freeze them in freezer bags in 1/2 cup and 1 cup amounts.  Do I wash them before freezing them?Do I need to add anything to them?
Amber L.
on 4/29/11 2:09 am - Sweden
They sell them chopped and frozen, so I think you could just plop them in a freezer bag.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

Katari
on 4/29/11 2:20 am - OR
I do it every year. We have a huge garden and plant lots of onions. I either slice them or dice them depending on what I want to do with them later. I just put them in freezer bags and freeze. I do the same with green peppers (especially when you can buy them cheap and use them all winter when they get ridiculously priced!).
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

nomoresugar
on 4/29/11 2:52 am
Works perfectly for using in cooked items.  You couldn't use them as 'fresh' because they get a big soggy-not noticed in cooked foods.  Be sure to use thick bags or double bag them so they don't transfer odors to other foods.  It also is a good idea to mark the date on the bag with a Sharpie.
MsBatt
on 4/29/11 10:58 am
I wouldn't wash them AFTER I'd chopped them---wouldn't that wash away a lot of the taste?
Most Active