I'mfeeling a little weird

diana8402
on 5/2/11 7:14 am - Kearny, NJ
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on OH and wanted to get some advice. I had my RNY on 4/27/11 YAY!!, but I'm feeling a little weird.  It's a combination of things, i miss food ALOT. The smells make my mouth water and i want to stuff my face with everything i see on the food network. I;m not hungry at all but i can't kick that sensation in my brain that is telling me these foods taste awesome.  I even cheated alittle and put a piece of bread in my mouth, chewed it for as long as possible and then spit it out. Ugh, the most frustrating part is that i did everything i was supposed to.  I weened myself off those foods, i lost 20lbs before my surgery and did a good job of curbing all the bad things to prepare myself.  Now im on this liquid diet, and all i've had for 4 days has been protien shake and water.  Whats worse is that i want things like ice pops and fat free yogurt and things that are on the OK list, but my mother refuses to buy it because she says that im not supposed to, and since i can't drive for a couple of weeks im kinda stuck without a paddle.  PLEEEEASE tell me this goes away, that it gets better, that I will be able to kick this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I don't want to fail at this. 
Elizabeth N.
on 5/2/11 7:29 am - Burlington County, NJ
You're fresh out of surgery and need to heal. You're going to be fine. Remember that taste is meaningless right now. You could send yourself back for more surgery by eating those things. Qui****ching the Food Network, push your fluids and hang in there.

Why is your mother refusing to get you foods that are on the list as appropriate for this stage?
diana8402
on 5/2/11 7:53 am - Kearny, NJ
i know i know :( it's just nerve racking you know. This is also the first time i've reached out to people who have had the surgery before.  My mom is being like that because she doesn't understand, even though i've explained it to her, before and after the surgery, her fear is that the whole thing  will backfire, at least that's what i can assume.  

btw, i should quit the food network, huh... maybe i;m trying to hold on to something  :-/... gonna go cold turkey!
MandaTee
on 5/2/11 7:53 am
I feel ya, I was there too.
I broke down 2 or 3 times on my pre-surgery liquid diet.  I just wanted something solid, something with taste and satisfying.  i was a blubbering idiot of commercials of whoppers and even things I didnt like.
When I got home from the hospital, my mom and husband ordered a pizza and I about died. 
I wasn't hungry, and the thought of eating made me ill, but the smell made my mouth water and it was just awful.
BUT - it goes away.  Being able to eat oatmeal and grits and eggs in the softfood stage helped a ton.  Something to chew.
Try cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups (on liquid diet), it helps too.
I promise it'll pass, but even when you can eat solids, it's always a temptation.
Shopping at WalMart, I smell McDonald's fries, and do my best to walk quickly through that section. 
You'll do great.  Good luck!!!

My Story: http://mandaswljourney.blogspot.com/
VSG Surgery Date: Jan 20, 2011
diana8402
on 5/2/11 8:03 am - Kearny, NJ
Thanks Manda,  i'm glad that it does go quickly, i mean 2 weeks is just 2 weeks, right.
omg i've been looking forward to the soft foods stage since day 2, but i'm keeping strong cuz even drinking water makes me full. 

:)
spedcon
on 5/2/11 9:29 am
Hi Diana!  It gets better! You don't have to say goodbye to all foods. After six months, you can incorporate some of those "forbidden" foods back in...just small bites. You will find they are just not as good as they used to be. I loved pizza and now, it just isn't good. I tried Cheerwine a couple of weeks ago and I can't believe I loved that soda so much...it was gross!

This liquid stage will be over soon. You have a new baby stomach and you have to treat it like it's a baby stomach. If you eat the stuff you're not supposed to have now, it can cause you a lot of grief. You are doing fine....put that bread down...no chewing and spitting out. It will get better soon. Keep posting with us and we will help! Tell your Mom you need the sugar free Popsicles to prevent dehydration. Good luck!      Connie
Mary Catherine
on 5/2/11 10:49 am
 Your mom does need to understand what you can eat and get things like sugarfree popsicles for you.  I went through a lot of those, also yogurt. Why does she think you can't have those things?  Do you have a list of allowed foods from your surgeon's office?
remembrtherain
on 5/2/11 3:48 pm - San Francisco, CA
Hey Diana, I had surgery on the 26th. So yay buddies! Anyhoo, I wanted to let you know that its SO normal. I walk down the halls of my building and smell dinner, I walk past the pizza place and smell bread and cheese. It's called Head Hunger. For a lot of people, it's what made us heavy to begin with. Its that absence of activity that our brains filled with null and void eating. Eating subconsciously, eating emotionally, its a comfort.
No doubt, you;re still in some pain as I am....but you're used to eating to fill pain (physical and emotional) so, it's SUPER WEIRD to just sip on water or protein and try to make it okay... It's not going to be okay for awhile. Its going to take getting used to, getting adjusted and breaking the Head Hunger barrier. It sucks. and I say this with just as much experience as you at this very moment in our journeys. You think you're doing everything right, so, why the cravings, I don't need it, but I want it just a taste, let me just smell.....These are ALL excuses are brain has come up with over the years to make us the way we are.
You just need to be strong. Its difficult. It's scary. And it may hurt, but if we are strong enough, we will want the soup to fill our tummy and the protein to boost our energy. Things will slowly start either melting away weight wise, OR if you let the Head Hunger beat you, it will cause you pain and even more weight gain down the road....Its a tough road ahead. You've made it this far, so you're clearly a tough chickie...Keep it going, you can beat it!
Also, don't put things in your mouth with the idea of chewing....thats the first step backward.

Your mom should join OH and see what it's about...or you could show her. Show her the before and after pictures on your MyOH page...all those people had support like you're reaching out for. Show her the challenges people are going through and the support they receive from others....Some people don't understand unless they can see...Maybe bring her to a local support group in your area?
But please don't think that you're alone in this...you're not. Keep in touch and keep us updated on your life and your journey.
Have a super week
--Lindsey
cathy R.
on 5/2/11 4:14 pm
Hey diane
I had surgery 6 day before you and I was ashamed that I felt that way  "mind hungry" I am so happy I am not the only one and its normal. I DO NOT watch the food channel and change the channel when food commercials come on because the site of pizza and burger make me "mind hungry. Great news it goes away I noticed 2 days ago that I dont get mind hungry anymore. My boyfreind for the 1st time cooked in my house (burgers) and it did not smell appetizing at all yuck believe it or not it made my stomach turn so it does get better
diana8402
on 5/3/11 9:07 am - Kearny, NJ
Thanks guys for all the support, you all rock :)
Most Active