Behavioral Health Eval (Pre-op)

Need4Change
on 5/3/11 7:02 am - NJ

Hi there, I'm just trying to get a general idea of what the purpose of this evaluation will be... is it to see if we will be able to handle the surgery from an emotional standpoint?  Determine if there are currently any food addictions/eating disorders?  My appointment is Monday and figured I'd ask those that know better 

Stacie P.
on 5/3/11 7:32 am - PA
I am wondering the same thing. I have my appointment on Wednesday and I was assuming that it was also going to be about support along with your emotional status and how commited you are going to be.
~Stacie  

shellqueen
on 5/3/11 8:31 am - New Brighton, MN
the psychological eval. is to make sure you:
1. Understand the decision you are making and its implicaitons
2. are not in a psychological crisis now before the surgery-that you are psychologically or emotional ok before the surgery so you are at the best place to be to handle the stress after surgery of all the changes
3. Know a mental health professional so if you need counseling after surgery you have someone you already know
4.Some also meet with your support person to educate them and make sure you two have talked about potential issues (i.e. is it ok for them to bring candy or ice cream in the house? Have you made arrangements for your recovery?)
5. Also some check to make sure you can start making the changes you need to make ahead of time and how well you handle that.

Some insurances require this process and also require you to do some psychological testing (most likely the MMPI-2)as part of the evaluation.

Note the evaluation is for your safety and benefit- it is to make sure you are at the best place you can be. It is not to prevent you from getting surgery!
K
Cecelia B.
on 5/3/11 9:18 am - St Louis, MO
And to assure that your expectations for surgery are reasonable.  Don't want to think surgery is going to alleviate depression, suicidal ideation etc.  Sometimes it improves, often it can increase for a while.  You need to be as stable as possible for this to be a success. 

Starting wt. March/ 2010  385lbs
Surgery wt.  Sept/2010     322lbs
Current wt.  Sept/2013     204lbs

Need4Change
on 5/3/11 10:06 am - NJ
Yes, I have seen the forums on behavioral health as well as addictions.  I find that the wls coupled with psych sessions post-op will help ensure I'm on the right path - I'm dedicated to get this issue resolved from every angle... 
Need4Change
on 5/3/11 10:04 am - NJ
Thank you! I appreciate your detailed response :)

This makes sense and it is a requirement, which is why I was curious.
Most Active