3 months Post op...just don't want to eat

cece1971
on 5/2/11 12:54 pm - Lancaster, PA
So here I am down 100 pounds...but I am a bit worried that something is wrong with me.  I just do not have a desire to eat...so I don;t.  The best I can do is drink milk.  Can;t stand the protein drinks or bars...it dont; like the way it feels, so therefore i eat as little as possible.  I think there is something wrong with me..I dont; know what to do.  2 bites of food 2 or three times a day and maybe 16 ounces of milk.  Can;t even get all my fluids in...I don;t know how to proceed

I can honestly say I am worried about me...
Susan S.
on 5/2/11 1:16 pm - Roselle, NJ
Poor appetite is common with this level of weight loss - you are in a high level of ketosis and that is very effective at making appetite drop. You probably also have some density issues with food so it makes experimenting with foods tricky. Here's the deal. You will put your body in a precarious position if you continue. You must minimally get 60 grams of protein in and do well with fluids to protect your kidneys. You have to find a protein shake you can live with...dont have to love it but if it doesn't make you gag you get it down. Carnation Instant Breakfast no sugar addede was the least offensive to me....but you have to get it in. Barix Proti Squares - available online from Smart Forme......are delicious and dont' have the gritty feel or weird aftertaste. I still order $200 worth eveyr month. They saved me during my poorest appetite period (when I went through all my plastics). When do you see your surgeon again. They won't be surprised by your issue - and they may well be able to offer you help so call tomorrow. Undereating will stop your weight loss and can do serious damage to your body. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/11 1:48 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
Are you taking any medications ?  Some meds can kill your appetite.
Are you taking your vitamins ?
Amy Smith
on 5/2/11 10:37 pm
This is coming from someone who had pain when ever they ate around month 5....you have to make something go in.  I was severely dehydrated and was getting nothing in, ended up with an IV, then a feeding tube, and then a PICC line.  Make sure to talk to your surgeon and maybe your nutritionist.  I know mine was very helpful in getting me back to eating.  I had no appetite and the thought of eating made me gag for a long time.  They are used to this.
Kim_M
on 5/3/11 3:24 am - LaPorte, TX
Try bcs brands dessert choc taste like a malt I went thru hundred of dollars worth until I found this

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
Most Active