Pre-op appointment - question regarding weigh in

Need4Change
on 5/3/11 6:01 am - NJ
Hi there, I'm somewhat new to this forum and going thru all the motions of getting approved for the surgery.  However, Im now finding out that I need to put on a few extra pounds in order to tip the scale in my favor of being approved despite being overweight practically my whole life...  My insurance is UH if that matters.

Can anyone who has been through this process before tell me if the weigh in at the nutritionist is what gets sent to the insurance?  Also, is this with or without clothing?  I ask because Im getting all emotional about putting on more weight and then knowing the insurance is prone to fighting back so they dont pay for the surgery...  so every pound I dont need to "eat" through, helps!!

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/3/11 6:19 am
You will wear clothing.  Maybe you should wear ankle weights that day

Winnie

Need4Change
on 5/3/11 6:33 am - NJ
LOL, thats pretty slick!! 
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/11 6:21 am
I put on ten pounds and practiced bending my knees slightly so I was the 1/2 shorter to an even 5'2". In the end I really didn't need to do that my insurance used two co morbidities and a BMI greater than 35%.  Do you have any doctor's records that show you at a higher weight in the past? You could use any dicrepency as proof of dieting...maybe?
Need4Change
on 5/3/11 6:35 am - NJ
Thats dedication!  :)   My insurance wants the 40% BMI, so no such luck.  They'll accept 35 if I had severe sleep apnea, but I was only diagnosed with having a mild case, which is why this has now become an issue...

I do have records showing me at all sorts of variable weights, some lower, some higher.  The point that we are going to make is that this is not healthy and needs to be curbed with a more feasible, permanent solution.

Thanks for both responses, they helped!

Need4Change
on 5/3/11 6:59 am - NJ
Since you mentioned bending your knees - did they take your height?  My doc said that they usually wont, they'll just take my word for it... 
Sarah R.
on 5/5/11 4:08 am
at my first Nut appointment, they took a picture, weight, height and measurements. That what was submitted to my insurance
Need4Change
on 5/5/11 4:38 am - NJ
Interesting... I hope they are not that thorough over here!! 
Hearing about the measurements is also news to me!

Thanks for your input.
Most Active