A Real-Life Case Study of One Person's Complications for Those Considering WLS

MARTINA P.
on 5/12/11 11:59 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I understand what you are going through and want Pre opt people to read postings like this and understand there is risk.  I have had complications with my DS procedure.  I had surgery on 3/15/11 started throwing up on 3/20/11.  I was re admitted in the hospital on 3/28/11 and started on TPN I found out and had to have emergency surgery on 3/30/11 since then I have had 5 EDG's 4 Upper GI, and is scheduled for surgery on 5/25/11 that may cause me to be converted to RNY due to sleeve not emptying. I am currently in and out hospital because I keep throwing up and is on TPN and IV fluid at home 18 hours a day.  Please understand I that surgery is a major thing.  I do not regret my choice because I know that at the end I will be healthier.  I will say that complications is expensive.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

martitalinda
on 5/12/11 11:31 pm
You have been through an awful lot ... I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers wishing you continued strength and a full recovery.  

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

MarilynT
on 5/12/11 11:49 pm
I'm really sorry you are struggling. I will be pulling for you, that your NEXT surgery will be your last and that FINALLY you will be on the road to recovery.

Just a question: I am a "PG County girl"; grew up in Temple Hills and my brother still lives in Upper Marlboro. I had my surgery in DC back in the day. I am not familiar with your surgeon. At what hospital does he do surgery? Are there other doctors in his group? I'm just curious since my brother is looking into the surgery; I am TRYING to convince him to take the inconvenience and travel downtown to MY surgeon (who is very highly regarded and has great stats).

Again, sure hope you are feeling better soon.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Harley Q.
on 5/13/11 10:49 pm, edited 5/13/11 10:50 pm - Central, NJ
pokerchips
on 5/15/11 7:00 am
Wow you have endured a lot and I will continue to keep you in my prayers.  I'm glad you are feeling better & looking good, lets pray that the next surgery will be your last WLS related surgery.

The lesson here is that everyone needs to understand that every surgery has its risks including WLS and the decision to have any type of surgery should not be taken lightly.

Peace & Blessings to you.

Change is a Process Not an Event

Most Active