A Real-Life Case Study of One Person's Complications for Those Considering WLS

CidGrad
on 5/12/11 6:56 am - Upper Marlboro, MD
Let me preface this by saying that I am not posting this to dissuade / convince / influence anyone against having WLS. It is funny (and uncanny) but through all of my complications I still believe that my decision to do so was sound. I cannot say that I would do it again but I am just now coming out of the thick of things. My opinion could very well change with time. I have lost 120 lbs this far ... I look and feel great.

This is my story ... it is a cautionary tale for those considering WLS. WLS is serious and potentially dangerous and life-threatening. Take this decision VERY seriously and realize what can happen to you and know that you have absolutely no control over these complications whatsover. I was that 1% that you read about ... recovery is extremely difficult -- both physically and mentally.

The series of events that follow stem from my 12/6/2010 VSG surgery:

1.       December 6, 2010 – VSG conducted

2.       December 26, 2010 -- I passed out at home and was rushed to the emergency room. I was diagnosed with “Bilateral Pulmonary Embolism" – blood clots in both lungs. I spent three days in the Intensive Care Unit and another 5 days recuperating in a trauma hospital. I started on blood thinner therapy (Coumadin). I was severely anemic and weak when I was released

3.       February 17, 2011 – I had been vomiting multiple days for three weeks prior to the 17th. I went to see my surgeon and was immediately sent to the hospital. Doctors ran a CT scan and a barium swallow. They discovered that one of the sutures from the 12/6 surgery had ruptured and contents from my stomach had been steadily leaking into my body cavity. This caused septic infection and had formed a softball sized abscess in my abdomen

4.       February 18, 2011 – I had surgery to place a filter in my veins to protect against any additional blood clots

5.       February 19, 2011 – I had emergency surgery to drain the abscess, identify the specific location of the leak (fistula), and attempt to repair the damaged suture. I remained in the hospital for another 10 days. I had a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC line) – a form intravenous access that can be used for a prolonged period of time – inserted. I was started on IV nutrition (called TPN) through the PICC on 12-hour cycles at night. Home health care comes to the house once a week to make certain that all is well with the line. They instructed me as to how to prepare the TPN mix for use. To date I have not eaten solid food since 2/17/2011. I have had a JP drain inserted into my abdomen since that time

6.       My physicians have been very aggressive in treating my condition. I have had the following diagnostic and surgical procedures since 2/17/2011

a.       2/19/2011 – fistula repair surgery #1

b.      3/21/2011 – fistula repair surgery  #2

c.       3/30/2011 – Upper GI series #1

d.      4/7/2011 – fistula repair surgery with stent placement #3

e.      4/15/2011 – CT Scan

f.        4/20/2011 – fistula repair surgery #4

g.       4/25/2011 – fistula repair surgery with stent removal #5

h.      4/28/2011 – Upper GI Series #2

i.         5/2/2011 – fistula repair surgery #6

j.        5/10/2011 – Upper GI Series #3

k.       5/16/2011 – upcoming fistula repair surgery #7 -- my leak is sealed but for a very tiny 1/4 inch portion of fistula tract that my surgeon wants to fill with fibrin glue. There has been no leakage at all into my JP drain for the past few weeks. My energy is back at 100% and I'm going to be released to go back to work at the end of the month.

Blessed One
on 5/12/11 7:04 am - Silicon Valley, CA
I wish you a continued recovery. Stay strong.
Hugs,
Erika
Crimson
on 5/12/11 7:08 am - MD
Holy moly. I am sorry you had to experience this. Thanks for sharing your story because anything can truly happen. This is a major surgery. It's your story that allows people considering WLS that Thera are risks; risks that surgeons do not divulge to patients for fear of scaring them. But we need to know thes things.

I hope that nothing else happens to you and you come out 100%. From one Marylander to another, thanks
Sharyn S.
on 5/12/11 7:56 am, edited 5/12/11 8:00 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
I am sorry that you have had so many complications.  But, as a nurse, I have to say that I see these kinds of complications with nearly every type of abdominal surgery ~ gallbladder removal, appendectomy, colectomy, etc.  The complication rate for WLS is no higher than for any other abdominal surgery.

I once had a patient who was hospitalized for over a month due to complications of an appendectomy, which is considered a "routine" surgery.  This patient had a PICC and was on TPN.  He had a Penrose drain, which is very similar to a JP drain.  He had an abscess and a fistula.

So, WLS is no more dangerous than any other abdominal surgery. 

I would like to add, had he not had his appendix removed, he most certainly would have died.  Many morbidly obese patients will die, sooner rather than later, without WLS.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/11 8:08 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Sending you healing thoughts for a safe and uneventful recovery on your next surgery.
Helen C.
on 5/12/11 8:55 am - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
As someone who dealt with a leak and a couple of months on TPN and nothing by mouth I can totally sympathize with you.

Even with my complications I would do the surgery again 1000 times over because I know it is the right thing for me and I know that if I didn't have it I would be short changing my girls from having the best mommy I can be because I would not be a healthy mommy.

I pray that your complications are quickly taken care of and that no more loom in your future.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 5/12/11 9:43 am
 pre-ops need to understand that every surgery has risks, as does remaining obese.

hope you continue to do well, congratualations on your recovery!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

skjlloyd
on 5/12/11 10:29 am - Bowie, MD
Praying you continue to heal and recover. Positive thoughts are sent your way. Take care!
SW 248 CW 170 GW 150     
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/11 10:41 am

Praying for your strength and full recovery.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 5/12/11 11:08 am - Tuvalu

I want you to get better.  I'm hoping my sister has this procedure and I want everyone who has it to do well.

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

Most Active