HAIR AND TEETHE

zoodriver
on 5/14/11 6:07 am - VA
I am about 2 months out!  I have been to 4 of my 6 visits and soon will be setting up "the procedure".  I have 2 questions.....(actually, I have a bunch)
I am used to getting a perm in my hair about every 6 months.  With the Hair loss thing, after RNY, I was wondering if I could get a perm now and then trim real short before surgery.  I know this sounds duh, but , it is on my mind and I need to decide.
  The 2nd thing is....I need dental work done (MAJOR).  It will involve pulling and replacing teethe.  I am concerned about the use of NSAIDS if the dentist is pushing them.....Should I hold off on RNY and do teethe 1st or wait till surgery is over?

One last thing (lol)  As the surgery is getting closer, my nerves are getting frayder (is that a word)
I am short tempered and cry and dont know if this is just me.  My family is ready to tie me in the closet.   Has anyone else faced this before surgery?

Any input would be GREAT!
                       Thx, Diana
Susan S.
on 5/14/11 7:08 am - Roselle, NJ
Your hair plan sounds like a prudent thing......as hair loss post op is unavoidable and even with ideal supplementation your hair texture might change - mine became much more coarse and brittle.......and therefore fragile. As to dental work...get it done now. The NSAIDS are one thing......but malabsorption can be hard on our teeth and if you have existing dental disease if you get it addressed (including the application of topical fluorides etc) preop you might be able to keep things in check.

Your emotional volatility is quite normal. This is a major life change and if you weren't experiencing a variety of emotions I would think you didn't really grasp how significant this is going to be. Talk about it! Here and anywhere you can be open and express all of your feelings good and bad. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

zoodriver
on 5/14/11 7:24 am - VA
THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!
I thought I was losing my mind!  What is left of it anyway.
I may need to postpone surgery to get dental work done and I fear that I will
chicken out!  I NEED both done but have limited time off as I drive a school bus

I will try to convince the hubby that I am not totally insane and maybe they will not tie me up in the padded room!

Thx again sooo much
Jolly Rancher
on 5/14/11 7:20 am
Get all hair and teeth stuff done now!!!! It will be a while before you'll want to deal with that again. Plus with your hair loss, you will not want to do any further damage to it.  I love my teeth, so anything related to them, I would have gotten done ahead of time. Plus you don't need the additional pain to add what you might go through after surgery.

I am a pretty emotional person as well. I could not sleep the night before surgery, and still cry at the drop of a hat depending. It's normal and you're gonna be fine!!!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
zoodriver
on 5/14/11 7:26 am - VA
Thank you
Now I need to rethink and replan.
Something I should have done months ago
MsBatt
on 5/14/11 7:37 am
NSAIDs are VERY important to me, and I'd never choose to have a surgery that would prevent me from taking them, if I had any choice at all. Think about it---they're what most of us take when we hurt, have a fever, a headache, cramps, a sprain, any sort of inflammation---and they're in SO many OTC products.

Have you considered the Sleeve or the DS?
zoodriver
on 5/14/11 7:56 am - VA
I have looked into the sleeve and need to look further into DS........The doctor that I have been seeing does not do either of those.  He will only do RNY or Lapband.  I would need to start over and find a new doctor.

That is something that I may have to do anyway if I need dental done 1st
MsBatt
on 5/14/11 10:02 am
That's why I advise people to choose their surgery FIRST, then choose a surgeon based on his or her experience in DOING that surgery. I had an RNY scheduled whan I learned about the DS, but I am SO thankful I cancelled that, got a new surgeon, etc.

WLS, no matter which form you choose, WILL affect the rest of your life. Take your time, do all possible research, and gt something that YOU can be happy with FOREVER.
southernlady5464
on 5/14/11 10:14 am
You are not that far from a doctor who is on the DS list, Dr. Elariny, Like Ms. Batt said, check out your surgery first and then choose your surgeon. While you may be young now, and I have no clue of your age, the need for NSAIDS may become critical later one. And with a RNY, you can't take them.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

zoodriver
on 5/14/11 11:34 am - VA
Thx so much for all of your help!!!  I am so glad that I found this board.... 
One of the reasons that I had this doctor is because I had a little problem with a diphragmatic hernia.  It had allowed all of my stomach and part of the intestines into my chest cavitiy and had adhered to the chest wall.  I had asked him about the WLS and that is how we got started.

Oh, by the way, I am 54 yrs old.
Most Active