being approved under healthpartners mn care

mcelski81
on 5/16/11 6:48 am - St Paul, MN
Hi my name is missy I got an appointment to go to a gastric bypass surgery seminar they told me I have to do this first my Bimini is 45 my. Height is 5 2 I have healthpartners threw Minnesota care I have no health problems yet but my legs hurt all the time plus my back. I get out of breath very fast I just hope they will approve me for the surgery it will be live changing for me but my question. Is does any one know if healthpartners threw Minnesota care if they will approve me with know previous diet history no health problems has any one been approved threw heathpartners MN care with just having Bimini 40 or over I just hope I meet their criteria does any one know their criteria all I know is you have to have bmi over 40 with certain criteria they tell me but I still don't get it can someone please help answer. My question please and thank you missy
callmeEJ
on 5/16/11 7:06 am, edited 5/15/11 7:08 pm - Minneapolis, MN
I don't have MinnesotaCare, but I know someone who had bariatric surgery covered by MinnesotaCare and had HealthPartners. I had HP through my employer, and I know their requirements are: they will require you to have a BMI over 40 or 35 w/ comorbidities, 2 years of your documented weight, a PCP note of medical necessity, psych consult, nutritionist appointment. You also have to do 5-6? counseling sessions over the phone before surgery, and 2-3 after.

You may also want to try posting this on the Minnesota board to make sure.

Edited to add: You may also want to call HP to make sure you know what they will cover. They were very upfront when I called and asked.

-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
Kari F.
on 5/16/11 12:59 pm
Just had my RNY pd by MN Care. They required a 6 month supervised diet....didn't have to lose weight to qualify. BMI over 40 should be all u need. also a psych appt.

Most Active