vitamins

wendyg93
on 5/17/11 1:45 am
I went for my 6 month appt. last week and finally got to stop those nasty flintstone vitamins and go to a real adult vitamin! But, I forgot to ask the doctor when I take the one a day vitamins do I take just the 1 or do you have to do like you do with the flintstone vitamins and take two?
dani02
on 5/17/11 1:50 am - Utica, MI
Flintstone vitamins? Umm, well cant do anything about them now can we? 
What vitamin did they recomend for you now to take? Did you have any labs
drawn yet? And how do you feel?

Dani

daisymay228
on 5/17/11 2:04 am - LA
You would take them as instructed on the bottle.  If it's an adult vitamin, chances are it's once a day.  I continue to take the gummy vitamins (almost 2yr out) b/c I choose to and I take 2.  But if I were to take an adult one, I'd just take one.  I just like the taste and ease for the chewables.

Andrea
SW 228 - lowest weight - 132 - CW 160

Gastric Sleeve - July 2009
BL/BA/TT  - August 2010
TT#2/Full circumfrential lift - July 2014

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/17/11 5:03 am
 Daisy, the OP has the RNY, and while it may be OK for you to take the dose on the bottle, it is what they recommend for "normies" - people without compromised digestion.  You don't have any bypassed intestine with the sleeve.

With the RNY (or DS) the doses on the bottles don't apply. We need much, much more.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/17/11 5:00 am, edited 5/17/11 5:10 am
 Holy crap is this surgeon setting you up for disaster. I'm so peeved I'm not even going to go into your surgeons/NUTs program, but you are going to be in a world of hurt, and need to educate yourself on the supplements, and follow your own lab work to watch for trends. They will not mention a deficiency (or overage) unless it is so out of range it is flagged at the lab. There are so many numbers, they do not have time to meticulously read them - they ONLY look for the labs flags. 

That said, you need to start with Vitalady's plan, and then when you get labs drawn, add or adjust vitamins as necessary. Looks like a lot?? It does, but it's nothing compared to the problems you are going to have by just taking a multi. I can't be clear enough here. It is easier to keep your labs stable if you are proactive from the beginning, but if you let things get out of whack, it can be VERY difficult to bring them back into range.

Vitalady is not a doctor, but her plan (and adjusted versions of it) is one of the only ones that I've seen people do well on. There are grave, even fatal issues with poor supplementing, so do some research here, and don't just take the word of your surgeons program, or YOUR health is going to be the thing to suffer. I'm posting her schedule below.

Vitalady Basic Vitamin & Mineral Schedule for Standard RNY Patients

Updated    2/20/2010

DISCLAIMER:

This information is NOT to be considered medical advice.

This schedule has been known to help most surgical weight loss patients and is not intended to replace your doctor’s 

instructions. We are NOT medical professionals. We do not give medical advice and are not associated with any 

medical office, clinic or hospital. 

The information offered on our website and this document should be considered for reference only and is solely based on our 

experience with weight loss surgery patients. The schedules and supplement information are offered in hopes that our 

experience will help others as they begin their post-op surgery life.

As with any program, please consult your doctor before starting a vitamin regimen. Prescription medications can be effected by 

vitamins and minerals and it is very important for you to consult your doctor or pharmacist for any possible interactions. All notes 

about vitamin combinations on this site are based on general knowledge information and are not to be construed as medical 

advice.

We encourage everyone to get a copy of their operative report(s) and keep all copies of labs easily available to review. We 

recommend organizing the information for easy reference.

Some people make spreadsheets, Excel or even by hand to show trends in lab results. Most physicians appreciate an easy to 

read system to compare the elements of their particular specialty. Please see the link for LABS AND TARGETS at 

www.vitalady.com which might be helpful for the labs we need to watch.

Statements made on this document and our website have not been evaluated by the USFDA.

The prices listed are to assist in calculating your budget for basic vitamin and mineral supplementation. Prices are based on

those current at the time of updating and does not include shipping & handling fees or taxes and are subject to change without 

notice.Vitalady Basic Vitamin & Mineral Schedule for Standard RNY Patients

Updated    2/20/2010

Although most people do not actually have trouble swallowing pills, some feel more comfortable chewing their vitamins for 

awhile. It is important to remember, during a normal weight loss surgery, the esophagus is not touched, unless it is damaged or 

diseased. So, our ability to swallow remains unchanged. It is the stoma (outlet from the pouch, where the intestine meets the

pouch) that may be swollen from the beginning. In rare cases, there might exist a condition which can cause a partial blockage 

of that area. Your doctor should address those issues. If you have chosen to start your post-op life with chewable vitamins, we 

have developed this plan to help you get started. 

*** SCHEDULE ***

Morning 1 Vitamin C =1,000mg or 2 each 500mg 

= 1,000mg  (see note 1)

Evening 3 Calcium-Magnesium-D3 140mg = 

420mg

6 Tender Iron or 1 Polysaccharide Iron 

= 150mg   (see note 1)

1 Multi Vitamin/Mineral  (see note 4)

2 Vitamin D3 5,000IU =10,000IU

Mid-Day 1 Vitamin A 25,000IU 1 Zinc 50mg or 2 each 23mg

1 Vitamin B-12 1,000mcg 1 Vitamin B-9 Folic Acid 1,000mcg

3 Calcium-Magnesium-D3 140mg = 

420mg

1 Vitamin K-1 100mcg

1 B Complex (see note 2) (see note 3)

1 Vitamin E 400IU Bed Time 3 Calcium-Magnesium-D3 140mg = 

420mg

1 Multi Vitamin/Mineral   (see note 4) 2 Magnesium Citrate 140mg = 280mg

2 Vitamin D3 5,000IU = 10,000IU 1 Vitamin B-1 100mg

With this plan you will be supplementing with the following daily vitamin and mineral dosages: Vitamin A 25,000IU; Vitamin B-1 

100mg; Vitamin B-12 1,000mcg; Vitamin C 1,000mg; Vitamin D3 20,000IU; Vitamin E 400IU; 1 B-50 Complex; 2 Complete MultiVitamin/Mineral; Calcium Citrate 1260mg (elemental); Iron 150mg (elemental); Magnesium Citrate 280mg (elemental); Zinc 

50mg; Vitamin B-9 Folic Acid 1,200mcg; Vitamin K-1 100mcg.

*** NOTES ***

Note 1 IRON is to be taken with Vitamin C, together but separated for at least 1 hour from caffeine, dairy, egg, 

whole grain, other vitamins and medications.

Note 2 B Complex is to be a B Complex 50 or higher.

Note 3 Regarding Vitalady Tender B Complex 50: Some customers have mentioned a tingling, rashy sensation or 

redness in their extremities and face.  This is a common reaction to the niacin (niacin flush) which may be 

present for a short time. While doses as small as 75mg don’t usually cause any reaction, some people are 

more sensitive. The sensation is short lived and harmless.

Note 4 Multi-Vitamin/Mineral composition should be similar to Centrum®

*** REGARDING PROTEIN ***

This list suggests vitamin and mineral supplementation with a schedule. In addition we suggest that protein needs to be 

supplemented as well. Since many people struggle to meet their protein needs, the following is our suggestion on how you might 

address it. We suggest the use of Whey Protein powdered drinks as the best, most complete and highest bio-available protein 

supplement source available.

Using protein supplements daily may help with volume control, appetite and craving control, along with meeting your daily 

protein requirements.

Patients choosing this plan should drink 30 grams of protein three to four (3 - 4) times a day for a total of 90 - 120

grams. For men, two (2) additional protein drinks per day might be considered, as men tend to lose muscle mass quickly.

We are not medical professionals. Please consult your doctor before starting any vitamin program. See full list of disclaimers on 

page 1 & at www.vitalady.com .

Most Active