I am a WLS imposter

Maria612
on 5/17/11 6:47 am
I am 11 months out from RNY.  I read all the time about what foods people eat, and that you can out eat your surgery.  Maybe I am doing something wrong.......I eat 4-5 times a day.  I drink 2 protein shakes a day.  I eat full fat.  I eat basically whatever I want.  Am I doomed to gain it all back?  I still lose weight, though slower than in the beginning.  I have about 18 pounds to go to goal.  Am I doing this wrong?  I am happy with what I can eat...........just curious.  maria
SW / CW / GW
327/203/ 180  
Susan S.
on 5/17/11 7:13 am - Roselle, NJ
For the first two years many of us can do exactly that. I ate full fat. I didn't eat anything I want.....as I was very restrictive with refined carbs, but I too ate frequently - 6-7 times a day. The thing is.....that comes to an end. For me it didn't occur until well into year 3.....probably because I was working out at a somewhat extreme level.....but now I have to be very careful and I'm battling hard to take off some of my rebound/regain. I don't drink protein shakes anymore......if you can meet protein goals without them.....when things do come to a crawl/stop.....eliminate them. Maintenance is much more of a challenge than the active weight loss phase. Develop good habits now. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Maria612
on 5/17/11 9:37 am
Thanks for your reply Susan.  I am not a BIG eater like I used to be, but I do eat "whatever"  when I say that I will give you an ex. I am not a big refined carb eater, not really interested in carbs anymore.
B. protein shake
S. 2 oz cottage cheese, some fruit
L. 2-3 oz protein, veggie, fruit
D. 2-3 oz protein, veggies
S. protein shake
does this seem reasonable, or am I in trouble later on?  I excersize 5 days a week, walking and swimming in the summer,  thanks, maria
SW / CW / GW
327/203/ 180  
Meg_S
on 5/17/11 12:32 pm - Natick, MA
Susan, I get reactive hypoglycemia so I need to eat 4-5 times a day (2 to 4 oz at a time). I do still do protein shakes occasionally as a meal substitute, not every day but a couple of times a week. Will I be able to continue doing this in maintenance? If not, how do I manage the RH?

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 5/17/11 9:43 am - Belleville, IL
When people mean "outeating" the surgery, they mean scarfing down the McDonalds burgers again, the 20 oz (at a time) Ribeyes, the bags of Dingdongs and Potatoe chips...Unless you are doing that, you are fine.

Just remember.....Calories BURNED (greater than) Calories Consumed means you will lose.

Therefore, if you are 150 lbs and eat 1800 or less calories a day, you will lose. Simple as that.
There is no 'magic" to it.

Warmly,
Jackie

Maria612
on 5/17/11 9:48 am
thanks Jackie, thats what I was wondering, and no, I simply can't eat like that anymore because of the surgery.  I am so grateful I was able to have this lifesaving surgery.  I am off insulin after being on it for 20 years and taking it 2 times a day.  My blood pressure was 110/74 today.  I was hoping I wasnt doing anything wrong, I hear people say they couldnt eat like an RNY patient, and I have no problems doing just that.  thanks, maria
SW / CW / GW
327/203/ 180  
e56700
on 5/17/11 10:06 am - Rochester, MI
I eat 6 meals a day, and keep them around 200 cal. When I say meals...I mean food. I just don't have the ability to eat a full meal. My surgeon suggested, to maintain, your daily caloric intake should be your goal weight x 10. Eat no more than 1 to 1 1/2 cups of food in one sitting. Two hours between meals, protein first.
Katari
on 5/17/11 11:08 am - OR
I wouldn't say your in trouble (I might be, but your food example looks good!)

Yes, it gets harder once the malabsorption of calories disappears and I really need to work on kicking those carbs to the curb, but yeah, your example of what you are eating looks really good. And like others said, as long as you are remaining active as well, you shouldn't run into to big of an issue. I personally weight myself everyday to keep an eye on that number. I'm wiling to have some bounce back, but I'm not willing to go overboard !
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Ladytazz
on 5/17/11 12:00 pm
 You sound like me except I have 3 shakes a day.  I eat 4 times a day.  I use full fat things.  I stopped keeping track of the calories for the time being.  I am jus****ching my weight and I am still losing, too.  My only rule is no refined carbs, nothing with sugar and wheat.  Other then that I am good to go.
I had my revision to reduce my amount of malabsorption so I don't know how much, if any, I malabsorb.  I actually eat the way I used to when I was thin.  I found that as long as I stayed away from refined carbs I didn't gain weight.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

funeebonez
on 5/18/11 5:27 am - Logan, UT
You say you have 3 shakes a day and eat 4 times a day? 
Is this 3 shakes AND 4 meals?
Do you have an example of your daily intake?
Just curious of what others do?
Most Active