Pregnancy after panniculectomy

SilentlyWeeping623
on 5/18/11 7:03 am - MA
Hello All!

I was just approved to have a panniculectomy. I have been getting infections in my belly button for the past year plus, so I grew some courage, and went to see my PS.

I got approved to have the excess skin removed, and thats all I am having done, but I wonder how screwed Ill be if I decide to have kids 5 years from now. Id like to hear about others experiences after panniculectomy, and after pregnancy if youve had PS and then gotten preggo.

I have read both that I will be fine and that Ill need another PS to fix my tummy again after I have kids.

Having the infections is a pain, so I dont want to wait til after I have kids to do this, as I am no where near ready to reproduce. But I wonder if theyre only removing the excess skin and not doing any muscle tightening, if I may be okay. I dont need to be perfect after having a baby or two, but the thought of going back to having THIS tummy....blech! 

I have what one might call a double belly. It hangs just a little over my belly button and an apron that hangs to my...erm pubic hair line (is that PG-13 enough?) My doc says that he will pull the skin down to from above my belly button down as far as it will go and sew me back together again so I dont have the double belly and it will be smoother. I am totally OK with that. I am also totally OK with having a little belly after PS and after having kids. Am I way off in my expectations or thoughts for the future?

Thanks!!!

Silently Weeping
242/226/145/140
Dr Sunny Shah -Tufts NEMC Boston MA
RNY ~Surg Date 4/27/09

MusicMaryn
on 5/18/11 8:40 am - San Jose, CA
Hey there!  You should check out the Pregnancy after WLS board (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/postop_pregnancy)

There are a few mommies on there that had PS and then got pregnant.  From what I've seen, they've all been ok.  Most women have babies first and then PS.  However, in your case, you actually have a medical reason for the panni (not like the rest of us who just hate the hanging extra skin.)  So I would definitely have the panni now and get rid of those infections.  Then when  you are ready to have a baby, then go for it.  I would suggest talking to the PS who will be performing your panni about your questions.  He/she will absolutely know.

Good luck!
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Emily F.
on 5/18/11 8:41 am
I would just tell the surgeon, I'm sure he has experience with this. It sounds like you really need the surgery, I'm sure he can make it looser or whatever he needs to do for your future pregnancies. Good luck.
Most Active