Bleeding from.... :/

xoxoxo1990
on 5/25/11 3:35 pm

I just had surgery monday morning and that night my first stool was pretty much blood... Then the night after that (tuesday) i had more blood for stool.. Now tonight (3rd day out) my stool is still literally straight blood. And i asked my doc and he said if it doesnt stop by friday to call but other then that its pretty normal, did anyone else have this problem???
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
--Dr. Seuss

Ladytazz
on 5/25/11 3:44 pm
 Is it bright red?  If so it is likely you have hemmorhoids.  I heard that if it is from internal bleeding it would be a brown or black color.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

xoxoxo1990
on 5/25/11 3:57 pm
Well i knoe i hsve hemroids but this is wayyyy to much blood to be that. but it was pretty bright at first now its a little drker i guess..
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
--Dr. Seuss

crystal M.
on 5/25/11 10:28 pm - Joliet, IL

The other person is right, internal bleeding is almost black in color.  I was told it will have the consistency of coffee grounds.  Otherwise, it could be hemorrhoids.  You could have excessive bleeding with hemorrhoids.  Especially, if your vein burst.  My ex had this problem and the toilet bowl looked as if someone slaughtered a pig.  So you can get lots of blood from hemorrhoids.  My ex had to have surgery to remove the hemorrhoids because it got that bad.   

Johanna !
on 5/25/11 10:32 pm - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
"the toilet bowl looked as if someone slaughtered a pig"

Very effective description!!! 
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 4:42 am - San Diego, CA
Just wanted to provide a slight correction...stools as a result of internal bleeding will be black and tarry stools.  However, if you are bleeding internally and you vomit that blood, it will look like coffee grounds. 
rbb825
on 5/26/11 3:52 pm - Suffern, NY
What surgery did you have?  It is pretty rare for gastric bypass to have a bowel movement the same day as your surgery and then daily the first week.  From what my surgeon told me and has been the case for everyone that I have ever spoken with, when they operate on your intestines - since they reroute our intestines - it takes time for our intestines to wake up.  I was told if I didnt' go by day 10, that I needed to first use MOM and if that didn't work to get dulcolax suppositories.  Well, on day 10 I tried the MOM and after 2 doses nothing happened, so I got the suppositories and they worked. Then I was okay after that.

As far as the blood, yes red blood can hemmorroids and it can also be old blood from them working in your intestines working itself out.  I don't know if the latter would cause just a large quantity.

I would definitely call and get it checked out.  It doesn't really sound too normal in such quantities day after day

Most Active