Thunder Bay Bariatric Team

Roxy7699
on 5/27/11 6:56 am, edited 5/27/11 9:43 am
Hello,

I am in the process of working with the bariatric team at Thunder Bay Regional Health Centre and am finding the process very challenging. I like to think that I am a pretty easy going person but this whole process has really brought out the worst in me. I am not connecting with the staff and find their lines of questioning insulting and demeaning, to be perfectly honest. I have been told that my file would be released to Hamilton for surgical date on two occassions now and each time something new comes up at the next apt to delay it's release. I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same experience or if it is just seomting with me? I keep getting my hopes up only to be crushed and when I express my frustration, I get a nonchalant what's the rush reponse. The rush is this is my life we are talking about!!!

My last appointment with the Psychologist went very badly and ended in my ending the conversation and him telling me that he thinks I am not a good candidate for surgery and that he has reservations about my sucess post-operatively. I was frustrated becasue he kept asking me what was going to make me sucessful post-op when I haven't been sucessful before? I gave him my honest answer (journaling, eating healthy, the ability to manage portion control through having a smaller stomach and feeling full faster, exercise). He said "but isn't that something you have already tried in the past? So, what's going to be different?" I said that I was giving my honest answer and I really found his responses hurtful "well, life is full of motivated people but motivation doesn't gaureentee sucess", "its not like it was before that any person with a warm body would get to have the surgery."

I am really upset and in somewhat of a crisis here. I don't know what to do. I can not continue to work with this Psychologist. The Program Co-Ordinator called me to talk about my session with him and I told him it wasn't a good time. I don't know what to do. I feel so humiliated and powerless. He doesn't even know me, how does he know if I will be sucessful or not? He has only spoken to me on two occassions. I see myself as having a variety of tools that will make me sucessfull post-op. I am crushed and don't even know if I am being considered for surgery at this point.

Any feedback on your experiences good or bad  are welcomed.

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/11 7:28 am
WoW! I want to say that I'm shocked, but I know it's all too common for this to happen. They think we're their inferiors and treat us accordingly. I hope there's another surgeon nearby who does the surgery you're trying to have. I would switch to another surgery center if possible.
Diminishing Dawn
on 5/27/11 7:37 am - Windsor, Canada

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Sarah_Anne
on 5/27/11 7:42 am
I can't imagine what he was wanting to hear.  What you said is basically what I said to the psychologist who saw me and they told me I was a great caniditate for surgery, so I doubt it was what you said.  

I would fight for it.  I would tell them you want a second opinion.  Medical professionals don't know everything and you should be entitiled to see someone else.  

I am sorry you are so upset.  I would be too.  What a bunch of BS.  I would not worry too too much as yes it would be frustrating to start over somewhere else but its not the end of the world.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Michelle_2975
on 5/27/11 11:48 am, edited 5/26/11 11:50 pm - Canada
I grew up in Thunder Bay and now live in Winnipeg. They started a clinic here last year. Right now the wait list is 1 year. Here is some info.

Both the gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve are now available in Manitoba.

They are available through:

St. Boniface Surgical Associates.
Bariatric Dept.
Suite 200
400 Tache Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R2H 3C3
258-1087
fax: 237-8141

(The surgeries themselves are done out of the Victoria Hospital.)

There is no cost for the surgery, but you will need a referral from your family physician. There is a charge of $200 to see their nutritionist (NUT), $150 to see their psychologist, $200 for the pre-op diet products and at least $50 for meds. You see Laura Toews, their NUT, four times. Once pre-op, and 3 times post-op. You see their shrink once. The pre-op diet is meditrim. You can buy it from the pharmacists in the same building as the doctors or order it online. You need to get blood work and have your doctor fill out a form.

At the moment, they are only taking women with a BMI of 47 or less and they want you to have a c0-morbidity. The program is a pilot project but will be getting more funding and will be offering the surgery to more. When they get a referal that doesn't meet the current requirements, it gets placed into a 2nd waiting list for when they get the funding.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Michelle

P.S. Thunder Bay doctors suck!!
Roxy7699
on 5/27/11 3:09 pm
Hi Michelle,

Thanks so much for the information. A friend of mine (who I believe we both have in common, Randi D, it's a small world :)) had suggested that I look into my options in Winnipeg, as I was considering paying for the surgery out of pocket. Now that you have so kindly provided me with the contact information and details of the process I have all the info I need to make the call. Thanks!!!
It has been an emotional rollar coaster dealing with the Thunder Bay program.

Thanks again!
Michelle_2975
on 5/28/11 5:12 am - Canada
Happy to help
Most Active