Pre-op liquid diet

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 11:07 pm
OMG as my second year lingers in the near future you make me remember what was one of the worst but exciting times of my life..the count down to surgery punctuated by the 21 day Carnation instant breakfast diet (sugar free CIB, with skim milk). I had to add a grilled chicken breast to my day, I just could not adhere to the liquid only diet. And I only lost 5 pounds despite feeling like I was going to starve to death. The last two days was clear liquid, with a bowel prep. I don't know what my doctor was planning but he was making sure nothing got in his way. (I consider all GI stuff torture that is never discussed. From EGD to Colonoscopy it is all BAD)
LovableLynn
on 5/29/11 11:15 pm - Qatar
Three years ago I got the lapband. When I got home from the hospital I noticed a HUGE bruise on my inner right thigh... actually huge does not describe it well enough...lol... and I felt like I had been badly beaten. For the life of me I could not figure out where this bruise came from and wondered if I was dropped while I was under. During my first post-op visit my Dr asked me if I had any bruises. I was shocked that he asked but very curious to know how I got it.

To make a long story short... my Dr told me that my liver was so big and heavy that the bruises came from the force they needed to retract my liver to view my stomach to perform the surgery.I cringed when I saw how he was demonstrating the force they had to use. I felt like someone had beat me and I felt pain and tenderness for a long time.

Here in Qatar they do not require any pre-op diet but I can guarantee you that I will be doing a 2 week pre-op liver shrinking diet this time around just to avoid the same experience of 3 years ago... so my advice... shrink your liver... whether your doctor has advised you or not.

Best
Lynn

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

Quana27
on 5/30/11 12:52 am - Bronx, NY
Adjustable Gastric Band on 06/04/11 with
Well this is my last couple of days and I've been doing pretty good (these last couple of days lol) hubby has been watching me and giving support but I think I got it now with less than a week to go I'm soooooo freaking nervous!
Quana27
on 5/30/11 12:53 am - Bronx, NY
Lyn if you don't mind me asking why are you having surgery again?
LovableLynn
on 5/30/11 1:37 am - Qatar
Although I was banded 3 years ago I have no restrictions and the weight is slowly coming back. At the time, the sleeve was not offered in Qatar and now that it is available I am chosing to have a revision from band to sleeve

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

MsBatt
on 5/30/11 12:56 am
Oh, darlin'---who was your surgeon for the lapband?

Did he explain to you how they bruised the INSIDE of your THIGH, messing with your LIVER? I call bull****I believe that bruise was from where they strapped you to the table.
MsBatt
on 5/30/11 12:53 am
I think your surgeon secretly (or maybe not so secretly) hates fat people---a two-week liquid diet is nothing but needless torture. There is NO evidence that a liquid diet is in ANY way superior to a high-protein, low-carb, moderate-calorie solid-food diet.

Bottom line---if you must 'cheat', then cheat by eating high-protein, low-carb foods.
Quana27
on 5/30/11 1:02 am - Bronx, NY
Lol I don't think she hates fat people but I do know 2 weeks of pure liquid is cleaning out something cause I gotta pee every 2 min lol it's is torture but I called them and was told I can eat 2 cups of veggies, some soup, and various things so speaking up helps....thanks
Most Active