Pre-op liquid diet

Quana27
on 5/29/11 6:21 am - Bronx, NY
Adjustable Gastric Band on 06/04/11 with
Hi! My surgery is scheduled for June 4th and things thus far have been going great but I'm struggling a little bit with this liquid diet how long does it's really take to shrink a liver? Am I the only one having difficulties with this part? Even tho I'm making it...it's been 5 days and 3 slip ups should I be kicking myself?

sleeve genie
on 5/29/11 6:48 am - Alhambra, CA
In my opinion the liquid diet pre op sucks,  it doesn't really shrink the liver that much, what happens is carbs make it very slippery and they have to keep it out of the way during the surgery.  I lost 18lbs on mine so that was good.   The first 3 days were the hardest for me,  if you get hungry have some broth or jello or something  good luck  all worth it in the end  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Quana27
on 5/29/11 9:29 am - Bronx, NY
Thanks so much for the support and recommendations I have tried the jello and sugar free ice pops and it's helped but I think it's all in my head lol but I'm doing it and will be a weight loss success story

Tammy H.
on 5/29/11 7:20 am - Greenville, OH
I only had to be on a liquid diet one day prior to my surgery...I don't understand how some surgeons require 2 weeks, and some one day...Its crazy if you ask me...But I guess they have their reasons...Try some sugar free popcycles...They will give you a crunch, which really helps...Good luck , hang in there...

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

elixir
on 5/29/11 8:45 am - MI
My surgeon requires a two week 800-900 calorie diet before surgery. All of the foods are prepackaged and most taste pretty decent but I'm still hungry. 900 calories is not a lot. I've been at it since last Wednesday and I've slipped twice. I had a couple pieces of bacon the first night and a handful of cashews the following night. The family brought home food from Checker's tonight and I have decided to disown them. I swear I heard those chili cheese fries calling my name. I'm not use to denying myself something I want. I keep telling myself that I'm in control of the food, it's not in control of me.

The liquid diet would be rough, but I bet you'll get through OK. We just have to keep our eyes on the prize. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Quana27
on 5/29/11 4:42 pm - Bronx, NY
I'm on something similar mine is a 1000 calorie high protein diet unfortunately I don't have any prepackaged food only the drinks which I must have 5 daily and water but I'm making it like I said I've had my slip ups but knowing I'm not alone helps

sunshinerayne
on 5/29/11 9:34 am
What type of liquids are you all drinking for the pre-op diet?  I'm at the beginning of my journey and am worried that I will not be able to tolerate those meal replacement drinks due to allergies...everytime I drink something like Slimfast, Boost or Ensure, my whole body swells up, including my eyes!!  This is so scary to me!!
Quana27
on 5/30/11 12:41 am - Bronx, NY
I drink the one the hospital sells it doesn't taste to bad only thing is I don't like milk and even tho it's made with water it's kinda milky....but you should really discuss this with your dr. maybe you two can come up with something because I would think you having thats type of reaction is safe at all! Best of luck!
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 3:31 pm
I am on the low carb high protein diet. I had one slip up with a nibble on a granola bar, my stomach revolted on me and up it came. I won't be on the liquid phase until a week before my surgery BUT my surgeon told me I had to go on LC/HP now because when my records get to his office he is scheduling a tentative date barring any complications arising from the cardiotest.
I am not looking forward to the liquid phase but in the words of my Nutritionist- SUCK IT UP, one day at a time, you will be thanking us for being so hard on you. LOL
SkinnySal
on 5/29/11 5:36 pm - Roselle Park, NJ
I heard my surgeon has cancelled surgeries at the last moment because the patient did not lose enough.

I had to lose a minimum of 25lbs and I did with a combination of isopure drinks and MediFast shakes.
Most Active