Abdominal pain? Advice?

Laura S.
on 6/3/11 6:59 am
So 2 nights ago, while away on vacation, I experienced a horrible pain.  It was sharp, constant and came on suddenly.  It felt like it was my entire abdomen.  But is was mostly on the right side and above my belly button. I looked at my stomach in the mirror and the right side was completely swollen and hard to the touch.  I quickly realized that it was serious and headed to the ER. 

These things never happen at ideal times.  I was staying at a bed and breakfast in the middle of no where.  Far from home.  Out in the country.  So I ended up in a small town ER.  I was shaking like a leaf from the pain and I was scared.  They quickly gave me morphine.  It took the edge off of my pain but it didn't take it away.  Fast forward 2 hours and they had me drink 2 giant cups of contrast for a CT scan.  An hour after that I have the scan and everything came back normal.  The ER doc was sure that it was a obstruction and was surprised to see nothing.  They released me the following morning and I've been completely fine ever since.  What a relief.

My question is what to do next?  Has anyone experienced anything like this?  Is it possible to have an obstruction that unobstructed itself?  Could it be something else?  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Laura

Sparklegigi
on 6/3/11 7:18 am - La Verne, CA
if it happens again it may be your appendix

Gus H.
on 6/3/11 7:27 am - La Puente, CA
You MUST be your own advocate. Work with your PCP and go to ER when pain occurs.

I had RNY in 2006. On May 13, 2010, I had a bowel obstruction and 90% of my sm intestines were dead which had to be removed. I'm no on TPN and it's no fun...I literally died on the OR table and they brought me back. My RNY has been reversed.....

Please, continue working with your surgeon, PCP, and go to ER asap if the pain continues.  I began to have abdominal pain between 07 and 2011. Everytime I went to ER, they would shoot me up with morphine and send me home.
Gus H.
on 6/3/11 7:27 am - La Puente, CA

Sorry, it was May 13, 2011

Laura S.
on 6/3/11 7:32 am
Gus-

Thanks for sharing your story.  Glad you are ok.  I can't imagine going through all that.  Poor You!  I will call my Dr on Monday for sure.

Laura

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/11 7:40 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Sorry you had to experience that

We must be our own advocates or else face possible permanent damage or even death.
Laura S.
on 6/3/11 8:27 am
Thanks Pumpkin X.  So true about being our own advocates.

Laura

M M
on 6/3/11 8:59 am
 DAMN.

Just.  DAMN.

I am so sorry.

M M
on 6/3/11 8:58 am
 Keep going back.

Gall bladder?

Very bad gas?

Something stuck?

I feel your pain. 

I've had pain for six months.  I just keep hoping it goes away - and I am waiting for the next flare that sends me BACK to the ER.  I've been 3 times and had exploratory surgery - which I FORCED on the WLS doc.  (Because of these forums!  I would swear I have a kink in my lower intestine.  Still do.)
Laura S.
on 6/3/11 11:17 am
It's scary when you don't have the answers but you know something isn't right.  Hope they can figure it out.  For you and me : )

Most Active