OT: Non-medical cat question

So Blessed!
on 6/8/11 6:17 am

My cat will go upstairs to the kids' room and bring down stuffed toys and junk.  This morning it was a slipper.  He'll carry it around for a while and then just leave it on the floor.

What's up with that? 

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/11 6:28 am
No idea, best not to try to figure out the ways of cats.. One of mine plays fetch.
Jean in the I E
on 6/8/11 8:23 am - Fontana, CA

Cats can be funny like that :) 

Here is a video about Dusty the Klepto cat...at least your kitty steals your stuff!!!

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/peninsul a&id=7958889

Jean  I'm 45, 5' 4-1/2" -- 315/272/230 -- 43 lbs lost pre-op
"Progress, not perfection..." ~Dr. Roger Gould
Breast reduction & lift - 11/11/11 (sooo wonderful!!!)

So Blessed!
on 6/8/11 10:29 pm

That's hilarious!
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 6/8/11 8:52 am
He's hunting. He's pretending he's out in the wild and he gets a slipper or toy or whatever and carries it around for a while like he would do if he actually caught and killed something if he was on his own in the jungle. they do leave it when the novelty wears off, they realize it's not "prey" or it's nap time. My cat would kill a mouse in the basement, carry it upstairs and drop it in the dogs water dish. We thought it was amusing- the dog didn't. Some dogs will "mother" a stuffed animal - just instincts. cute story.
Jen 9 yrs post op
Dave Chambers
on 6/8/11 9:12 am - Mira Loma, CA

Looks like he loves to bring you presents.  It's highly unlikely that most pets will return items to their original location.  I've raised cats since 1977, and you'll find that most will have their own "things" they love to do.  I have 4 dogs and two toy boxes for their toys.  One of them will return a toy to the box once in a while, and root around to find another one to "gift me with".  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Hislady
on 6/8/11 9:27 am - Vancouver, WA
I used to have a babysitter that left a shovel outside her door so I could bury whatever the cat had brought home that morning for her. She was a little squimish but didn't bother me and her roses grew great!
southernlady5464
on 6/8/11 9:57 am
I had one cat that liked to bring me presents or "treasure" as we called it. She was an inside only cat so her presents consisted of stuff found in the house not your typical bird, etc. Anyway, her favorite was to get in our clean laundry basket, she would bring us panties, hose (IF I happened to drop a pair in her way), she even managed a t shirt of my husband's one time...how she managed that we don't know as it was bigger than her.

Whether it’s an outdoor cat who brings the real thing, or an indoor cat who lovingly disembowels a toy mouse and leaves it on the bed, our cats are actually paying us a great compliment.

They are showing they want to feed us.

They are showing off their hunting skills.

They expect a fuss.

Whether it’s real or not, cats appreciate our appreciation of their efforts, especially when they have gone to the trouble of setting aside a delectable part just for us. While bits of prey are even less appealing than whole prey, it’s that little extra that says they love us.

So we don’t need to pretend to eat it; this would be difficult to pull off in any case, and would only encourage the cat to take better care of us. Thank the cat, praise what fine hunters they are, and let the item be disposed of while the cat is not looking. They can assume we ate it, or they can assume, as Mr. Bond did, that we will know what they were saying.

It can mean the cat sees us as their kittens. It can mean the cat wants to return the feeding favors. It can mean the cat wants to show off in their area of expertise. It can mean all these things; we are many things to our cats.

But it is always a loving gesture, and we should treat it as such.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

So Blessed!
on 6/9/11 5:24 am

That is such a sweet thought.  He really is a cool cat when he's not being moody. 
KathyA999
on 6/8/11 10:41 am
No fekkin idea why cats do anything, and I've owned and loved them for 40 years! 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active