VSG vs. Gastric Bypass? - PLEASE HELP

cateyz
on 6/16/11 6:37 am, edited 6/18/11 5:57 am - East Amherst, NY
 I have had the Lap-Band for a few years but have started to have issues which require it to be removed and a different WLS to be performed.

My physician performs both the VSG (sleeve) and Gastric Bypass. He is leaning towards the VSG but is telling me the decision is ultimately my own. However, he is requiring that I give him my choice within the next couple of days so that surgery may be scheduled.

Could I please get opinions from persons who have had both as to why you made the choice you did if offered both options, successes and any complications that you have experienced?

Thank you very much in advance!
Diana
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/11 6:59 am
If I can have do-over... I would never had RNy ... but VSG.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cateyz
on 6/16/11 7:55 am - East Amherst, NY
 Why would you never have the RNY? Could you give some insight into the reason for that statement?
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/11 8:11 am

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ladytazz
on 6/16/11 7:26 am
 If you did well with the band you should be fine with the VSG.  It works better then the band with less side effects I am told.
If you can't lose weight no matter how little you eat then your metabolism is shot and you need malabsorption.  With the RNY the malabsorption goes away after about a year or so and all you are left with is restriction.  With the DS the malabsorption is always there to help you keep the weight off.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MsBatt
on 6/16/11 7:37 am
A few questions. Your profile shows a BMI of 39. Is that your current BMI, or was that you STARTING BMI? If it's your current one, what was your starting one? If it was your starting one, what's your current one/how much, if any, do you still want to lose?

What kind of trouble are you having with your Band? Have you lost well with it? Have you lost but regained?

Have you visited the Revisions board yet?
cateyz
on 6/16/11 7:57 am - East Amherst, NY
 That is my current BMI. My original BMI was 45. Vomiting, unable to swallow, GERD with current Lap-band. I did lose some but started to regain and now am having significant issues with getting anything down / keeping it down.

Have looked at some of the revisions board since I posted... still reading now.
MsBatt
on 6/16/11 12:53 pm
The problems you're having seem to be pretty common with the Band. I know several people who've had them, revised to the VSG, and are doing wonderfully.

BUT---you say you got your Band a "few years" ago. How many? It doesn't seem to me that you lost weight easily with the Band, so I suspect restriction alone may not provide a permanent solution for your problems. Do you have any co-morbs like diabetes, PCOS, insulin resistance, etc? Does diabetes run in your family? Do now have, or are you likely to develop any condition that requires the use of NSAIDs? (Pretty much all the OTC pain killers/anti-inflammatories.)

Before I had a revision, I'd get a metabolic profile done. If you do have metabolic problems, I'd strongly urge you to go with the DS. Have you researched the DS at all? It has the same stomach as the VSG, and has an intestinal bypass, providing an EXCELLENT correction of metabolic problems.
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/11 8:15 am

Elizabeth N.
on 6/16/11 9:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
How well did you a) lose weight and b) MAINTAIN that weight loss?

IMO the answers to those questions determine whether or not you need malabsorption. If you need malabsorption, you need the DS. I would NOT get the RNY under any cir****tances. I'd take my chances on restriction only with the VSG over the RNY with its very time limited caloric malabsorption.

Most Active