Presurgical Psych Evals in Buffalo, NY

Leigh1966
on 6/16/11 11:10 pm - NY
Help!  Does anyone know of a psychologist/psychiatrist in the Buffalo NY area that is qualified to do the presurgical psychiatric evaluation for bariatric surgery AND accepts Active Univera insurance?  The one my bariatric center actively promotes does not take it, & his office couldn't/wouldn't suggest anyone else who would. 
When I tried calling my bariatric center back they were completely unhelpful & would only tell me to contact Univera.
So I tried both the Univera website, which only listed psychiatric doctors, not which ones do this specific kind of eval.  And when I called the Univera hotline the representative had obviously never heard of this & would only (very rudely!) refer me back to the website.
In desperation, I even tried asking our human resources dept. at work...which told me to check the Univera website.  (Argh!)
Surely I do not have to go through the yellow pages & call every psychiatric doctor in Buffalo in order to find someone!
I would be most appreciative of any help.  Thank you!
(deactivated member)
on 6/16/11 11:38 pm
I would try posting on the NY board and calling your bariatric center back and ask someone else who they refer patients to for psych evals.  I'm surprised they don't do it in-house.  Good luck.
Leigh1966
on 6/17/11 12:07 pm - NY
Thanks for your response :-)
I did call the bariatric center back today & stomped my feet a little.  I got a receptionist to give me a name & fortunately, it was someone who will accept my insurance.  I have an appt for July 5th.
Mary Catherine
on 6/17/11 12:11 am
 I was in the same situation and ended up paying myself for the exam at the office recommended by my surgeon. The exam was $150.
Leigh1966
on 6/17/11 12:09 pm - NY
Youch!  Fortunately, I was able to track down a psychologist today who will accept my insurance.
soulsister
on 6/17/11 1:42 am - NY

Whatever you do, do not go to Lelito!  He has given a lot of people problems. Some have been denied because of him.

Leigh1966
on 6/17/11 12:12 pm - NY

Really?  That's interesting, because when he was speaking at the seminar the other night he claimed he could count on one hand the number of people he'd told he absolutely did not think should have the surgery.  Either way, the point is moot, since he does not accept Univera.

soulsister
on 6/18/11 9:21 am - NY
Maybe he's changed his ways the past few years (I think there were many complaints). But he denied my mom and 2 other people I know of.  He delayed her surgery for another year.
Leigh1966
on 6/19/11 2:46 am - NY
It took some calling around, but I was able to make an appt for the psych eval with Dr. Pina on Niagara Falls Blvd.  He sounded pretty nice on the phone, & I was able to get an appt for July 5th, which isn't too bad a wait.
Do you mind sharing why people you know were denied?
I'm a little nervous because I take an anti-depressant for dysthymia (constant low-grade depression, without a lot of highs or lows), although I know that doesn't automatically rule someone out for the surgery.  My condition is pretty well controlled, & having worked in the mental health field for many years I think I have a good idea of what the doctor wants to hear.  I had the same psych eval when I was considering the RNY surgery about 5 years ago & didn't have any trouble getting approved. 
soulsister
on 6/17/11 1:45 am - NY
Are you going through Synergy?  I know that's who they use.
Please check out Comprehensive weight loss center at BGH.  I had my lapband done at Synergy and left that practice.  CWL center surgeons are more qualified/experienced than Pham.
Most Active