Help me find a protein drink thinking about Ensure

Sugar Mama
on 6/24/11 5:42 am - amityville, NY
 Has anyone ever tried Ensure High Protein....

What did ya think?? 

Getting ready to go to the store...also
what about World Wide Pure Protein Shakes
do they taste similiar to optifast?

I need a basic protein drink that is simple and taste similiar to Optifast dammit lol
here is Ensure's label

Ensure High Protein Chocolate Bottle Image
  • 25 grams of protein (50% of your Daily Value)
  • Low fat
  • 5 grams of sugar
  • 3 g of prebiotic fiber

Available Flavors

Creamy Milk Chocolate

Homemade Vanilla

Nutrition Facts

Serv. Size

1 bottle (14 fl oz)

Calories 210

Calories from Fat 25

Amount Per Serving

%DV

Amount Per Serving

%DV

4%

Total Fat 2.5g

3%

Saturated Fat 0.5g

Trans Fat 0g

7%

Cholesterol 20mg

12%

Sodium 280mg

13%

Potassium 440mg

8%

Total Carb. 23g

12%

Dietary Fiber 3g

Sugars 5g

50%

Protein 25g

Ingredients [–]

WATER, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN MALTODEXTRIN; LESS THAN 2% OF:SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, CALCIUM CASEINATE, COCOA POWDER (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), SUGAR (SUCROSE), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SHORT-CHAIN FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CELLULOSE GUM, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CARRAGEENAN, CELLULOSE GEL, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, GELLAN GUM, SUCRALOSE, ZINC GLUCONATE, dl-ALPHA-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, NIACINAMIDE, MANGANESE GLUCONATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE CHLORIDE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, FOLIC ACID, BETA-CAROTENE, VITAMIN D3, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, SODIUM SELENITE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, PHYTONADIONE, AND CYANOCOBALAMIN. 
CONTAINS MILK AND SOY INGREDIENTS; GLUTEN-FREE; SUITABLE FOR LACTOSE INTOLERANCE.

Vitamins and Minerals [–]

Vitamin A 35% • Vitamin C 100% • Calcium 40% • Iron 10% • Vitamin D 30% • Vitamin E 100% • Vitamin K 35% • Thiamin 35% • Riboflavin 35% • Niacin 35% • Vitamin B6 35% • Folate 80% • Vitamin B12 35% • Biotin 35% • Pantothenic Acid 35% • Phosphorus 40% • Iodine 35% • Magnesium 35% • Zinc 35% • Selenium 50% • Manganese 35% • Chromium 90% • Molybdenum 60% • Chloride 8%

Emily F.
on 6/24/11 7:13 am
Are you lactose intolerant?? Is there a reason you want soy instead of whey? Whey is generally absorbed better than soy but if you were whey intolerant or something I don't know about that woudl be different.

Lots of carbs. You don't have your surgery listed. Do you malabsorb?
Sugar Mama
on 6/25/11 7:20 am - amityville, NY
 Yes ....I am 11 days preop from the RNY surgery....however I don't prefer soy at all I hope I didn't communitate that....I definitely malabsorb . I thought that was a low carb item...whats considered low carb then?
Elizabeth N.
on 6/24/11 8:12 am - Burlington County, NJ
TERRIBLE choice from a nutritional point of view.

I think Optifast tastes like butt, and so do most protein drinks, so I'm not much help :-).

Both Optifast and Ensure are NOT protein supplements. They are MEAL replacements. Huge difference.

If you're looking for the more affordable brands, Designer Whey comes to mind.

Another thing to do is to order protein supplement samples from Vitalady. www.vitalady.com . She sells samples of every protein she carries at very reasonable prices. Her samples are sized to a serving containing 30 grams of protein.

One that lots of people seem to like is Champion Whey Stack. It doesn't gag me as so many do, but it's drinkable.

I can tolerate GNC's Amplified Wheybolic Extreme in vanilla, mixed with water, one scoop at a time (20 grams of protein--the label information is for a 3 scoop serving). I find the Isopure ready to drink smoothie almost tasty. I am all happy about one I just discovered, also Designer Whey, a clear RTD beverage called XAPP, very lightly carbonated (would flatten immediately if poured into a glass), serving size like one of those big energy drink or Arizona Tea cans. I tried apple-grape, but there are other flavors.

Sugar Mama
on 6/25/11 7:22 am - amityville, NY
 LOL @ optifast tasting like butt. I also tried Boost ...yuck and I just tried advantedge carb control 
But it sounds like vitalady and whey is the general consences on here....
 I will try both ....first vitalady ...thanks
Sugar Mama
on 6/26/11 8:39 am - amityville, NY
 Thank you for those links ....it was like a rite of passage ....

Thank you 
Thank you
Thank you

again I say thank you....I think that did it!
Janine P.
on 6/24/11 11:07 am - Long Island, NY
Whoa... 23 grams of carbs is a lot.

Invest in a tub of protein.  Go to Vitalady.com and check out her samples.  I suggest Champion Whey and Syntrax Nectar.  When you find the one you like, pick up a tube of it.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Sugar Mama
on 6/25/11 7:23 am - amityville, NY
Thanks going to check out her website now....

Thanks very much

beemerbeeper
on 6/24/11 11:39 am - AL
No No No.

You can get a tub of protein powder (WHEY) at Walmart with 23 grams of protein and 4 grams of carbs.  In chocolate, chocolate-peanut butter or vanilla.

CHEAPER and WAY BETTER for you.

~Becky

Sugar Mama
on 6/25/11 7:24 am - amityville, NY
 what do you do with this powder...make your own shakes?
Most Active