How Much Is Too Much Water?

DixieDarling
on 7/2/11 11:52 am - Douglasville, GA
Yesterday I had intestional hernia surgery.  I am on a liquid diet; my mouth has a metallic taste and I am supposed to get in more water.  I am very dehydrated from the sickness the hernia caused.  My question is how much is too much water?  So far, today, I've had 140 oz.
spedcon
on 7/2/11 11:34 pm
Hi Dixie!
Sorry you had a rough time with the surgery. I have no idea how much is too much water but I would think you certainly had enough. You can actually drink so much you wash important nutrients and the "good stuff" from your system. I know a lady that constantly drank so much water that she was passing out from low blood pressure. I think the doctor said she got her electrolytes off balance.

I lived in Douglasville years ago...1986 I think. I lived on Six Flags Drive and worked at Annewakee (sp?). I was there during all the scandal and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I was a special ed. teacher, just out of college, looking for a job until I could get hired. If you knew of the place, you can imagine why I wanted out! It was on the news constantly and if you wore your work shirt in public, people would stare and make comments.

I hope you are feeling better now. Try to get in some other kinds of liquids today. Can you stand protein drinks yet? Keep us updated.      Connie 
MacMadame
on 7/3/11 5:43 am - Northern, CA
This sums it up best:

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of tha****er comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infan****er intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active