July 12, emergency surgery

RieRie
on 7/15/11 6:23 pm, edited 7/15/11 6:48 pm - somewhere, IL
well rememvber me complaining cause er didnt find anything wrong with me. Well I went to see surgeon and he scheduled an colono text to look at colon and upper gi to look at bariatric surgery. But they scheduled out pretty far out until the 22 of july. Well meanwhile the pain just got worse and worse and my tolerahce was getting low. So i had my husband take me to er where my surgeon was and they did another ct scan only with contrast this time, as my surgeon had mentioned that the local er didnt do this so i told the er doc. So he ordered it with contrast... didnt take long and they was all moving fairly quick... brought me a shot of morphine, called my surgeon immediately.. I had a inssumption with a mass.. They took out five inches of my colon. Surgeon says that he doesnt see how i withstood it for 2 months... I told them but no one would listen... i told my surgeon nurse that i didnt think I should wait that long for test but she put me off... grrrr. but anyhow now i am in the pain of recovery.. at least it will be over soon. slowly get better, this has been very painful my gut is so sore from cramping everyday for so long.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM00711

Love Marie        My Space          I am a Army mom     

Harley Q.
on 7/15/11 10:14 pm - Central, NJ
I am so sorry you went thru this agony..I too had an emergency surgery on April 3rd this year...I had the worst pain of my life and 11 hours later in the OR with a level one crisis of a complete small intestine obstruction.  Had they not moved quickly enough I would have died.  The absurdity of ER's who do not take us seriously is maddening.  This was my fourth complication surgery at four years out...my husband and I have now learned to DEMAND with pounding fists a cat scan with contrast is the first order of business and MOVE FAST.  My surgeon is amazing but these ER's are simply not equipped to deal with us.  I have my surgeons cell phone now and I suggest you do the same.  My complications are all the ones we read about that only 2-3% of people with RYN get ---not a huge fan of that statistic to say the least since I thought that would never be me....With all that said, I would do it again, as my other co-morbidity's are ALL turned around...so I look at it like if I had not gone thru with it I may have been dead from a stroke or heart attack by now...So life is GOOD.  Good luck with recovery, it is slow and painful.  But you will get thru it.  Hugs!

JinPA
on 7/16/11 8:28 am, edited 7/16/11 8:29 am - PA
I had the opposite experience.   I had terrible pain about 2 months ago.  I started walking in the ER because it hurt so bad and I was so anxious. I assume the movement did something, because  I started passing gas like crazy and everything started moving.  I felt a little sheepish and asked to go home, but the Doc pushed me in to staying for a CT with contrast.  Nothing was wrong, but I am glad she was so thorough after hearing these stories.
Lifebeauty
on 7/15/11 10:56 pm
RieRie, Sorry you had to have surgery but glad all is better now.  Though I did not have RNY it is a worry that something might be going on and I get the brush off from medical staff.  Take care and best wishes on a speedy recovery.
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

spedcon
on 7/15/11 11:20 pm
Wow RieRie!  That was certainly scary! I'm glad someone finally listened! We tend to know when something is wrong and it makes me so angry when we're not taken seriously. I hope you feel better soon. Please keep us all updated and thank you for informing everyone. Pain should not be ignored and it helps when you let us know about it.       Connie
Most Active