Protein absorbtion

loves4kids
on 7/19/11 10:38 pm - Goldsboro, NC
Is there a limit to how much protein your body can absorb at one time after gastric bypass (RNY)?  I have heard conflicting reports on this and just want some of your input.

example - if I drink a protein shake with 48 grams of protein in it...will I absorb all 48 grams? or just a portion? 

One nurse I spoke to yesterday said that you can only absorb a portion of that and that the rest is used for immediate energy or stored as fat?

Mary Catherine
on 7/20/11 1:58 am
 I don't think that anyone knows for sure.  I have heard that 30 grams is all we can absorb at one time.  I try to consume extra just to be safe.
loves4kids
on 7/20/11 2:29 am - Goldsboro, NC
Thanks MaryCatherine!  I try to spread mine out throughout the day, and I usually get in more than the 60grams suggested by my surgeon - but if i can only absorb 30g at a time -- I am going to stop those horrible protein shakes!!

tammyd1962
on 7/20/11 7:17 am
i went to my surgeon yesterday for my 10 wk check up.  He told me that you can only absorb 25 grams of protein at one setting.  

loves4kids
on 7/20/11 10:36 pm - Goldsboro, NC
Thanks - Tammyd!!

dani02
on 7/20/11 11:43 pm - Utica, MI
I was confused by the different opinions I was reading also. I was doing
a protein shake with lactose free milk in the am thinking that I was getting
56 grams in in the morning and I was doing great. Well after a severe
3 weeks of constipation I finally went back to my nutritionist who told me
I should only get about 20-24 grams in at a time. I was making myself
sick. So I changed up the protein added some veggies and now I am
good. And since I was using 2 scoops of protein powder before and
now only one scoop I am saving money also.
Hope this helps

Dani

loves4kids
on 7/21/11 12:42 am - Goldsboro, NC
Thanks Dani!   The market is FLOODED with protein STUFF right now and you can't believe what is being advertised.  My husband is a body builder and he gets tons of protein in throughout the day and supplements it with a protein shake after his workout. I have been paying attention to the content of some of these and was astounded by some that claim 60+grams per serving and some with tons of cholesterol.  By the way - the one with 60 grams per serving is the scoops (roughly a 1/4 cup each of powder) mixed with 12 ounces of water or milk ( the latter will add 8 more grams of protein)  We would drown trying to drink that much. lol.

My husband and I use a Quality whey Isolate (sold at GNC) that has 20g per serving and we mix it with 8 oz of skim milk.  He chugs it - I sip and heave - lol.

MacMadame
on 7/21/11 5:52 am - Northern, CA
 From "ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient"

"One popular myth is that only 30 g/hr of protein can be absorbed. Although this is commonly found in both lay and some professional literature, there is no scientific basis for this claim."

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf

Two articles about it:

http://nakednutritionnetwork.com/30-grams-of-protein-in-one- meal-rule/

http://www.tomvenuto.com/asktom/protein_grams_per_meal.shtml

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active