iron help

mom_to_4boyz
on 7/20/11 9:52 am - CA
i have low iron, im currently taking feosol carbonyl iron. it has 45 mg of elemental iron per pill. the box says thats equal to 225mg of ferrous sulfate USP. i take it with vit C to help me absorb it better. i take it 3 times a day.  i have a few questions since i dont understand aything about the iron. im trying to increase my iron as fast as possible since im hoping for a tummy tuck soon and i know its important that my vitamin levels are on point.

am i taking enough?
how many mg of vit C do i need for each dose of iron?
can i take more than 1 dose or pill of iron at a time or do our bodies only absorb a certain amount?

karma-4.jpg picture by keiratoutsupermomwifewomantired.jpg picture by keiratout     I'm a shorty at almost 5'3"

Amy R.
on 7/20/11 10:55 am
Weird. I just  posted a reply directing you to poet_kelly on the RnY board and it's not showing up?!

Anywho, bottom line:  she is very knowledgeable in all of this supplement area and your best bet is to either post over there or send her a PM. 

She has truly studied the ASBMS guidelines for all supplement and really knows her stuff - I'm sure she would be glad to help you.

Best of luck on your journey and congrats on the upcoming tummy tuck=)
H.A.L.A B.
on 7/21/11 8:19 am

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

vitalady
on 7/21/11 10:40 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
To correct your deficiency, shoot for 300mg elemental iron, so 6-7 of the ones you've got. You'd need 2000mg of C to keep the ratio. More C is fine, too.

You can take it all at one time. No caffeine, dairy, egg or whole grain, any other vites, minerals or meds. Separate it by one hour, either side, minimum.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active