First 10%?

GreenisLove
on 7/25/11 4:06 pm - CA
VSG on 05/29/13
 I am at the stage of losing the first 30%  of my weight and am having the battle of my life.  If losing the weight was so simple and easy, then WLS would not even be an option. Any help thoughts, tips, or words? I feel so lost. =(

kathkeb
on 7/26/11 1:36 am
I am not sure I understand your post ---- are you saying that you have to lose 10% of your starting weight in order to qualify for surgery?

I did not have that requirement ---- but I do think that Weigh****chers or some group managed by your surgeon or hospital may be a good start.

It helped me to start 'eating like a bandster (or other wls patient)" prior to my surgery.
I eliminated drinking while eating, I switched to small plates and small utensils.
I ate protein first at each meal --- stopped eating after about 1/2 a portion and told myself I could have more later if I really wanted it.

I lost 19 pounds in the 6 weeks before surgery following that plan.
Kath

Laura A.
on 7/26/11 1:43 am - Manteca, CA
Yep, I'm one of those that had to lose 10% of my starting weight before they would schedule me for surgery.....I needed to lose 30 pounds.

I found if I cut out most anything white...flour, sugar, potatoes...ate 1 serving portions of meat, fish and veggies....substituted one meal a day with a protein drink AND walked every day, I was able to lose the 30 pounds.

The way of eating and exercise are things we need to do after surgery anyway, so really you'll just be getting a head start on your healthier lifestyle....

I found it was really up to me in the end....I had ask myself:  "How bad do I want this?  Am I willing to do the work it takes to have it happen?"

Let us know how things go for you.  We're here to help....

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

GreenisLove
on 7/26/11 4:17 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13
I have to lose 30 pounds too. I've already lost 10pounds, but it just seems like the other 20 is so far away. 

Laura A.
on 7/26/11 5:16 am - Manteca, CA
Hey, if you've already lost 10 pounds you're 1/3 the way there!!!  Way to go!!!

If you really make an effort to eat single portions (not the serving size portions we've been used to all our life) that it will make a huge difference in your weight loss.  Weigh, measure and journal EVERYTHING. 

Journaling helps when you might have a not-so-good weight loss week, you can go back and see what you ate on a good weight loss week and do it again....

Where do you live?  It's important to get into a support group too....

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

Most Active