medical ID bracelet question for diabetics (xpost from RNY board)

pouch_potato
on 8/5/11 2:35 am - PA
Hi everyone,

I'm going to start wearing a medical ID bracelet for my gastric bypass (thank you OH because I never even thought about this!). My question is about my diabetes. I went into surgery three weeks ago as a Type II diabetic with an a1c of 7.9. Before I was discharged, my endo took me off my diabetes meds. Since then, my morning fasting glucose has been in the 120s and 130s and I expect even that to improve as the weight comes off.

Should I put  gastric bypass AND diabetes II on my bracelet? If so, should I also indicate that I'm not on diabetes meds (maybe something like Diabetes II Diet Only)?

Thanks,
Rachel
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
M M
on 8/5/11 2:57 am
You will likely be in remission ... and not needing to disclose ... but if you find yourself later in the opposite problem --  hypoglycemia (you may, it's very common...) that is something we put on our ID bracelets

Mine reads:

Name
Gastric Bypass
Epilepsy
Hypoglycemia
Return to owner

pouch_potato
on 8/5/11 5:52 am - PA
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read several posts about RH but I'm so used to my sugar being sky high from carb binges I can't imagine it happening to me!
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
walter A.
on 8/5/11 10:54 am - lafayette, NJ
I left the hospital with out meds for diabetes , as soon as I saw the 120 am morning fast I went back on the metformine and januvia.   I want to wake up with fast of 80- 90 and never over 110 durring the day.  now im off the metformin and my a1c is 5.1  ,   Diabetes is not cured just better managed with wls.  10 months out and at goal.
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 12:31 pm
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 12:42 pm, edited 8/6/11 12:52 pm
 Explainer- I forgot to log out and posted as Jo accidently...Sorry all!  

I am a American Red Cross Instructor- I would recommend that you do mention type II/WLS. I tell my students to look for a MA bracelet/pendent and go no further.  It likely would not affect your care negatively because EMT's should do a gluc test before any course of treatment if it's suspected that it's related to your emergency- For those reading this, some procedures (like nasal g tube placement )of a WLS patient needs to be done with greater caution..You need to let emergency responders know your plumbing isn't typical.  A MA bracelet can do that if you cannot speak.
May it never have to speak for you!

Most Active