Anyone have multiple previous surgeries before RYN

skinnyinside33
on 8/11/11 7:07 am - Prairieville, LA
My mom is probably going to have RYN next month and she has had a partial hysterectomy, then a complete hysterectomy, three c-sections,gallbladder and appendix taken out. Has anyone had multiple surgeries and they were still able to do laproscopic RYN? That is what we are praying for he said he wont know until he gets in there if they will be able to or not. Just curious.

Thanks and God bless,
Amanda
MacMadame
on 8/11/11 7:31 am - Northern, CA
I had 2 c-sections and an open cholecystectomy and I was fine.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Lisarn1
on 8/11/11 9:30 am, edited 8/10/11 9:30 pm - Raleigh, NC
I had 4 pelvic surgeries before my lap RNY (all 4 open and had to do with partial, and eventually total hysterectomy), and I had one surgery after. I've had little to no complications related to adheshions, and the like. I did have an internal hernia and gallbladder surgery 3 weeks ago (also lap), but the Doc didn't say that there was any issue with scar tissue. Hope this helps.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Emily F.
on 8/11/11 9:52 am
The c sections are really too low to matter, the rest really depends on the scar tissue. She could be fine or there could be a problem. If she is not having too many other problems, should be fine w an experienced doc.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/11/11 12:17 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I had the DS, not the RNY, and I had mine open after multiple other surgeries. Easy peasy. IMNSHO there's nothing special about a lap procedure.

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 8:21 pm - Woodbridge, VA
It completely depends on the skill (and willingness) of the surgeon. I had adhesions from an open vertical incision for an ovarian cyst removal when I was 16, and I ended up waking up from my WLS with a different confirguration than expected because of these adhesions (or at least partly because of the adhesions; also partly, IMO, due to my surgeon's desire to complete surgeries quickly).

I came to OH and was told all these fabulous stories about how others had had 87 abdominal surgeries before their DS and still got their DS without an issue. I was confident I Wouldn't be any different. I was wrong. Bottom line: you never know until you wake up (or, in this case, your rmother wakes up) because the surgeon has no way of knowing what's in there until s/he cuts in.

Also, I have to say it...it's RNY, not RYN  :)
hockeymom8016
on 8/11/11 9:26 pm - NJ
I had my gall bladder out and two hernia repairs prior to my RNY and it was done laproscopically.

Peacebstill
on 8/12/11 12:53 am - FL
I had surgery on mon. 8 and woke up with a different Tool than was hopeing for due to scar tissues. A little disapointed however since all are Tools i will work with it. Waiting on more info from surgeron. Blessings

sahmto4
on 8/12/11 3:11 am, edited 8/12/11 3:11 am - Ellendale, TN
I had 4 C-sections, Gall bladder removal, and a ruptured appendix and had a lap RNY. The surgeon did tell me that an open procedure was a possibility because of all of the scar tissue from the ruptured appendix. So, I went in knowing that I may have an open procedure.
It all went great and I have had no problems. GOod luck to your mom.
Most Active