IUD ok with surgery?

kait8513
on 8/19/11 8:56 am - FL
RNY on 02/06/12
My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 4 years.  This is one of the reasons I am getting WLS.  My surgery will most likely be in December and I do not want to mess that up by actually getting pregnant now (ironic right????).  I know you have to wait about 18-24 months after surgery to start trying again (I am getting RNY).  With all this said, I am wondering if I get an IUD (like Mirena or something)  if that would be to have while I get the surgery.  I think I read somewhere that all med's (even BC) had to stop a few weeks before surgery.... I just want to figure out if an IUD is a good choice and if it would be okay and safe during my RNY....

Thanks!
--Kaitlyn
trudylam
on 8/19/11 9:04 am - Sudbury, Canada
I have a mirena and love it.  I got it a couple of years before surgery but it has not posed any problems with the surgery.  Best of luck to you. :)

severman
on 8/19/11 9:08 am - Indianapolis, IN
 I had my origianl rny almost 9 years ago.  I had an IUD Mirena put in this May and have not had any troubles.  Just check with your OB and surgeon.  WIshing you the best of luck.

Stephanie E
Nanasmami
on 8/19/11 10:06 am - croydon, PA
I had my mirena put in a monthbefore my scheduled date, as I do not wish to be pregnant anytime soon after surgery! When I went for my preadmission testing, I let them know that I had it, and because my family has a small history of blood clots, my dr put me on blood thinners for after surgery. Blood clots are the ONLY concern!
Emily F.
on 8/19/11 2:33 pm
They are fine but say not to use Mirena if you have no had a child yet. ? So your doc may recommend something else.
severman
on 8/20/11 7:30 am - Indianapolis, IN
 Emily just curious as to why they said not to use Mirena if you have not had a child yet?

Thanks,
Stephanie E
Emily F.
on 8/20/11 8:33 am
On August 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM Pacific Time, severman wrote:
 Emily just curious as to why they said not to use Mirena if you have not had a child yet?

Thanks,
Stephanie E
 I tried googling it and it seems like a higher chance your body will reject it if you have not had a baby yet. ?? Really its up to the doc if they think they should. I know one dser that has it and has not had a baby and she is happy with it.  ? 
RainyDayWoman
on 8/21/11 2:06 am - Fridley, MN
On August 20, 2011 at 3:33 PM Pacific Time, Emily F. wrote:
On August 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM Pacific Time, severman wrote:

Thanks,
Stephanie E
 I tried googling it and it seems like a higher chance your body will reject it if you have not had a baby yet. ?? Really its up to the doc if they think they should. I know one dser that has it and has not had a baby and she is happy with it.  ? 
I think one of the reasons Mirena is not always recommended for women who haven't had babies is because your cervix hasn't dilated before and insertion can be pretty painful.  But I do know some women who have never been pregnant who got Mirena and loved it.

I had a Mirena in at the time of my surgery.  Make sure your doctor knows about it.  I don't love birth control in general but Mirena was the easiest BC I've ever used.
Most Active