Another newbie says hello

melody S.
on 8/24/11 7:28 am - Morgantown, WV
Hello! I'm Melody, and I'm just starting out on my journey. I attended my surgeon's seminar last week, and I'm waiting for a call from his office, letting me know when I go in to see him for the consultation. I was initially interested in having an RNY, but now I am considering a VSG. I've been lurking here for a few weeks now, reading everything I can and trying to learn as much as possible.

The thought of major surgery doesn't really bother me (yet!). I know the risks, but I know that I am just as likely to die of a heart attack or stroke at my current weight, as I am of complications from WLS surgery. Probably moreso, to be honest. My biggest fear is that I will regain the weight that I will lose, because that is always what happens to me when I diet. I managed to go to a size 12 before I married, but I gained more than I'd initially lost, and am now a size 28. I *do not* want to regain the weight.

I've already modified my diet, trying to make it healthier, and I am adding some e3xercise (walking, mainly). I'm hoping that when I have to do the six month diet, it won't be jarring to me, and I'll be more likely to stick to it without cheating.

There are seven days in a week and "some day" is not one of them.

Maria612
on 8/24/11 10:09 am
Welcome!!  Look into all 4 surgery types and read, read, read.  Go to a surgeon who does all 4 surgeries.  I am happy with my RNY, but maybe you would need something else.  Dont go into it thinkingyou will fail, just do your best every day.  good luck to you.  maria
SW / CW / GW
327/203/ 180  
MsBatt
on 8/24/11 10:30 am
Hello, Melody! Welcome to OH.

I completely understand your not wanting to regain the weight, like you always have before. (You could be telling the story of my life, there. ) Therefore, I strongly urge you to seriously consider the DS/duodenal switch. The DS has the VERY BEST long-term, MAINTAINED weight loss for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

The DS has the same stomach portion as the Sleeve, retaining the pylorus and all normal stomach function. It also has an intestinal bypass similar to the RNY, but one that provides PERMANENT malabsorption of calories. As a DSer, I eat about 2500 calories a day, but absorb less than half of them. The typical DSer absorbs about 50% of the protein she eats, 60% of the complex carbs, and only 20% of the fats. (See why it's so good for high cholesterol?) We eat a high-protein, high-FAT, moderate-carb diet, and significant regain is rare. (I'm nearly eight years post-op and have had ZERO regain.)

The DS DOES demand vigilance in taking taking daily vitamins and supplements---as do ALL forms of WLS. The DS IS more demanding in this regard---I take supplements four times a day. Takes up about five minutes of my total day. (*grin*) And DS surgeons are rare---most of us DO have to travel in order to have the surgery. But I'm yet to find a DSer who doesn't think it was worth every bit of effort it took to get the surgery.

Be aware that if your surgeon doesn't DO the DS, he or she isn't likely to give yoou good, complete info about it---heck, he may not even KNOW good, complete info about it himself! And it's a rare surgeon indeed who will recommend a surgery he himself doesn't offer---the ford dealer isn't going to recommend you buy a Beemer, after all. (*grin*)

Good luck to you!
Kathleen W.
on 8/24/11 10:53 am - Lancaster, PA
It's sounds like you are off to a good start.  May I make a recommendation?  There's a book called "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies."  It was written by Marina Kurian, Barbara Thompson, and Brain Davidson.  Marina Kurian is the bariatric surgeon who performed Al Rockers' surgery. Any way, the book deals with every aspect of wls, from those just thinking of surgery to what to expect at the hospital and beyond.  They even go into the different food phases after surgery and give receipes.The authors go into  the different  types of surgeries such as rny, ds, band, etc with both pros and cons to each.  You could get it ebay or Amazon.com cheaper than at the book store.  I'm 2 years out and I still  refer to the book at times.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

melody S.
on 8/24/11 10:54 am - Morgantown, WV
I really like the sound of the DS, but my surgeon doesn't perform it, and I cannot afford to travel. I have thought of the RNY, for the fact that it is malabsorbtive, but the doctor was pushing the sleeve. My stomach can be my sacrifice to the gods of losing weight.

I was told my insurance requires two six month medically supervised diets. Has anyone else had this? I'm afraid that if I lose too much weight during the pre-surgery doet, my insurance will say I don't need wLS. My BMI is 59. I need the extra help that WLS will give me.
MsBatt
on 8/24/11 1:00 pm
You say that you can't afford to travel to get the DS. I say that with a BMI of 59, you can't afford NOT to. Some DS surgeons near you are:

Virginia

Hazem A. Elariny, MD, PhD, FACS *
Email: [email protected]
Advanced Laparoscopic and General Surgery Associates, PLLC
2235 Cedar Lane, 3rd Floor, Suite 301
Vienna, VA 22182
Phone: 703-778-6000 or 1-888-722-5735 toll free
Fax: 703-778-6005

ennessee

Hugh L. Houston, MD *
Centennial Centre for the Treatment of Obesity
2200 Murphy Ave
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: 615-342-1231
Fax: 615-342-1814

Albert T. Spaw, MD, FACS
SpawMD
2011 Church St., Suite 101
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: 615-284-2400

There is also a Dr. Boyce in the Knoxville area, but I don't have his contact info.

Seriously, read the Revision forum and see how many people are seeking a revision to the DS from other procedures. Read this thread, too:www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the-Patient -Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/

And this one: www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4438047/Calling-All-Revisions/ #36692073

Many insurance companies are going to a "one per lifetime" clause on WLS. Be sure you get the right one the first time---you may never get a second chance.
Bamacampingmama
on 8/25/11 2:39 am - Mobile, AL
Yes, I am currently doing a  6 month medically supervised diet because my insurance required it.  I hoped to have the RNY sometime in February or March 2012.  I had a lap band in for 2 years of hell for me. I then had it removed due to all the acid reflux and other problems.  Just do allot of research and talk to anyone who has the surgery and make a informed decision.  Good Luck!!
melody S.
on 8/26/11 1:38 pm, edited 8/26/11 1:38 pm - Morgantown, WV
Thanks for the words of support, everyone. I love the 'Dummies' series of books, so I'll have a look for 'Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies'.

As for travelling, I simply cannot do it. My monthly budget is $230. After bills are paid, that leaves about $10. I couldn't even drive anywhere for that. I really like everything I've heard about DS, but it just isn't an option now.

There are seven days in a week and "some day" is not one of them.

MsBatt
on 8/27/11 5:16 am
I know this is going to sound nosey in the extreme, but---if you live on $230 a month, with only $10 left over after your bills are paid---how do you EAT??? How can you possibly pay for any WLS? How can you buy the necessary vitamins and supplements post-op?

ANY WLS requires you to take vitamins, even the Band. (And with the Band, there are all those fills and un-fills to think about.) All forms of WLS require you to eat protein FIRST, which ain't cheap. All forms of WLS require bloodwork, at least yearly, and frequently more often if anything's out of whack.

I rarely ever discourage anyone from pursuing WLS, but in your case, I really think you need to look at the financial side really carefully.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/27/11 7:37 am
I'm also worried about costs after surgery. The vitamins and protein are not covered by insurance, and are NOT negotiable.  

Do a search on here to see how much people pay for vitamins post op (it's asked all the time) and think if you can afford giving up that much of your budget to necessary supplements.
Most Active