Gut pain again...

So Blessed!
on 8/29/11 12:44 am
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4382467/Intussuscepti on-A-Long-Term-Post-Op-RNY-Complication/

It happened again last night.  It was different from the last time I had a severe pain episode and had to spend the night at the hospital.  This time there was severe nausea involved - my mouth kept filling up with water and I was dry heaving.

I did everything I could think of to get things "unkinked" .  I stretched and contorted my body into every conceivable position, massaged my tummy, drank warm broth,  you name it.   I was just about to go to the ER, but the pain finally started easing.  

I have some choices to make and I don't particularly like either alternative.  Be cut open to try to fix it or leave it be and take my chances.   I can suck it up and deal with periodic bouts of pain; I've done it before.  My fear is someday I might not be able to self-correct the situation and miss that window of time to prevent sections of intestine from dying.

It sucks...
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 12:56 am

Sounds just like my gallstone pain.! I wouldn't wait to get it fixed if they know what it is.

So Blessed!
on 8/29/11 2:35 am

After being in the hospital so many times in my life, I've developed a SERIOUS aversion.  I wouldn't have even had WLS if it hadn't been my very last resort.
Newlifeagain
on 8/29/11 6:56 am, edited 8/29/11 6:58 am - Bakersfield, CA
Hi So Blessed,
I had a very similar situation several months back, and ended up in the ER most of the night.  It was the most excruciating pain that I'd EVER FELT IN MY LIFE (58 years)!!!  Really...it was THAT BAD!!! 

BUT - when they did a CT scan with contrast, they didn't find one kink or obstruction - which is what they (and me too) honestly thought it was.  So, they gave me pain meds via IV and when I relaxed after the meds, they sent me on my merry way.  It was the weirdest thing ever.  I felt better the next day, and haven't had an episode like that since.  So what they heck????????????????  What was that?????????????  I must say that it REALLY frightened me.  I've seen some reports of obstructions, and it didn't sound "nice" at all.  I'm 7 years post-op and after working so hard to appreciate and respect this second chance, stay on track and keep my weight off, it's a shame to have a "kink" thrown into the mix.  Not fair!

You are in my prayers that this doesn't happen again - EVER!!!

Take care,
Rose
So Blessed!
on 8/29/11 10:39 pm

BUT - when they did a CT scan with contrast, they didn't find one kink or obstruction - which is what they (and me too) honestly thought it was.  So, they gave me pain meds via IV and when I relaxed after the meds, they sent me on my merry way. 

Similar story here, Rose.  By the time they got me back to CT, things had slid back into place and the pain was starting to ease.  They had no absolute proof that it was intussusception, but this was the surgeon's best guess based on the symptoms and the layout of my intestines.  I was told that it could happen again.  

When they did my blood work, my lactic acid levels were off the charts.  They said this is a sign of tissue being deprived of oxygen, so there was some sort of bowel obstruction.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Newlifeagain
on 8/30/11 1:15 am - Bakersfield, CA
Thanks for that info.  That was the first time I'd experienced that problem, so who knows.  They didn't tell me that my blood work had any indication that there was a problem, but there again, who knows.  Perhaps I will call the hospitals medical records department and go by and get a copy of my labs.  I'll actually be there anyway in about a month to get a revision of my left arm brachioplasty, so I'll pick up a copy then.  You've got me interested in finding out about those levels now. 

Thank you so much for alerting me to this.

Take care and be blessed my friend!
Rose
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 8/29/11 10:12 pm
 so sorry to hear this - do you have an update?

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

So Blessed!
on 8/29/11 10:41 pm

Nothing new, Jackie.  I feel fine today.  Taking it one day at a time. 

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 8/29/11 11:10 pm
 well, the NEXT time this happens you gonna go to the ER right away??  you had better!!  

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

So Blessed!
on 8/29/11 11:19 pm

Don't beat me! 
Most Active