Woo-hoo! Got my surgery date!

Leigh1966
on 8/30/11 1:06 pm - NY
October 10th is the big day! 
I'm having open gastric bypass surgery.  My surgeon is Dr. Joseph Caruana (Synergy Bariatrics) in Buffalo, NY; he has a stellar reputation & has done literally thousands of these surgeries.
I'm terrified, but also very excited.  When they clinic called to schedule the surgery they originally wanted to do it on Sept. 6th, but I didn't feel like that was enough time to prepare, either logistically or mentally.  The date I chose will give me an opportunity to make all the necessary arrangements & to wrap my head around the whole thing.
Last week I sucked it up & went to my first support group meeting, & I was very pleasantly surprised.  Not usually a fan of support groups, but the people at this one were very nice.  I felt very welcomed & was able to come away with some good information.   Seems like it's going to be a good support & resource for me.
Leigh
nicp28
on 8/30/11 8:54 pm - weston, MI
Wonderful Glad you have a date!! It's like it all changes and things start moving faster once that last piece falls into place.
Leigh1966
on 8/30/11 9:46 pm - NY

Thank you.  Even though it's still over 6 weeks away I know the time is going to fly by.
I was just looking at my calendar at work yesterday & trying to figure out how I could squeeze in as much work as possible before I take the time off, so my coworkers don't hate me by the time I get back.
Then there's all the food & shakes to buy, all the little details of housework/laundry/paying bills/running errands, finding someone to pet-sit, working out who's going to be at the hospital with me & who's going to help me out the first few days...It's a little overwhelming!  I know everyone's experience is different, but I wish there were some good way to know where I'll be in my recovery at different stages during the first few weeks after surgery.  How many days should I plan on having someone stay with me?  How long before I'll be able to go up & down stairs without pain (I live on the second floor)?  or drive my car?  or scoop out the litterbox?  or walk my 70lb. dog?  or carry clothes down to the basement laundry room?  I'm sure everything will work itself out; it's just difficult for someone who has been completely self-sufficient all of their adult life to contemplate having to depend on others for these things. 

Leigh
MissStaci
on 8/31/11 1:50 am, edited 8/31/11 3:03 am - Pompano Beach, FL
Congratulations! I chose a later date than I was offered too, just to prepare head and home.

Before I forget, let me tell you this. Make SURE when getting your food, etc. together that you have a couple of small sized ziploc bags (like the snack and sandwich size) on hand. Also, one of those boxes of multiple sizes of Rubbermaid plastic food storage containers (or glass equivalent, whatever you prefer). Once you're off liquids you'll probably find yourself with lots of small amounts of food that you'll want to hang on to and storing them in a regular sized container is annoying.

I had someone with me for 2 days. After that I felt like I needed to move around more and I also am one of those people who prefers to be alone when not feeling well.

My doc's policy on driving is you can after you've been off of pain meds for a week. Yours will probably have his own.

Going down stairs was hardly painful at all, going up took maybe 8-10 days to go away. Make sure you have a firm pillow to press against your belly when you get up, sit down or take the stairs. It really will help.

As for litter box and laundry, litter scoops should be fine if it's not uncomfortable for you, just be especially attentive to handwashing, etc. afterward (I'm sure you are, just saying it out of habit). Laundry is trickier because of the stairs, but with the loads, I was told if you can lift it with one hand it's okay to pick it up. I think I'd wash everything possible before I left, then wait a week or longer if possible, only because of the stairs. Also if you only have 1 set of bed linens, I suggest getting another in case your bandages seep through (mine did, a lot).

That reminds me of one other thing. Keep some panty-liners on hand for incision drainage for sites that are covered by your clothing. It sounds crazy, but you can slap one of those pads on the inside of your top or pants and not have to worry about grossness oozing onto your white shirt at the store (yep, that happened to me too, lol).

Even if your dog is well behaved, ask your doc what he recommends. As you know a 70 lb. pooch can be a LOT of strain if he/she tends to walk you. If you have a friend (or a dog walker) that can cover the job for at least 2 weeks, I'd let them.

Good luck--keep us posted because you're right, that big day will be here before you know it!
 "Life is not easy for everyone. But life can be beautiful even when it is not so easy."
 Olga Bowman, "Four Seasons Lodge"

Leigh1966
on 8/31/11 2:35 pm - NY
Thank you so much for all of the great information!
Plastic containers multiply like rabbits in my cupboards so I think I'm pretty good on that front.
I didn't know the bit about having a firm pillow -- I'll be sure to get one of those - & I wouldn't have thought of the seepage problem with bed linens.  Definitely don't want to mess up my good sheets, so I'll get at least one more set of cheapies. 
I always have plenty of panty liners onhand, but using them to protect my shirts wouldn't have occurred to me -- good tip!
The laundromat is probably going to be the way to go for a while since I don't have a dryer & have to hang everything up otherwise.  Thought I'd just carry small loads in pillowcases.  If I'm not having to dress up to go to work every day I can go quite a while between trips.
I would love to be able to have my cat with me at home.  He's such a sweetie, & I find it relaxing to have him around.  (Fortunately, although he's very affectionate he's never been much of a lap cat, so I don't have to worry about him jumping on me.)  I was just concerned because I've read that bending over can be very uncomfortable for a while, & I hate to ask someone else to clean the litterbox.
The dog is definitely going to have to stay with sitters for a while.  She's gentle & usually well-behaved, although she will drag at the leash if she sees/smells something interesting enough.  And even though I know it's good for me to move around I really don't want to be committed to going up & down the stairs several times a day & picking up "care packages" if I'm feeling crummy.
The hardest parts are going to be having someone stay with me (like you, 2 or 3 days is usually about my limit for company) & not being able to drive the car.  I'm really going to have to plan carefully to have everything I need onhand ahead of time.
Anyway, I'm sure everything will work itself out.  It's only for a short time.  Guess I'm just going to have to learn a lesson in humility & not be afraid to cash in some favors :-)

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!
Leigh
martitalinda
on 8/31/11 1:39 am
 That is good news!!! Sooooooooooo happy for you on getting your surgery date.  I am glad you felt welcomed at your first support group ... there is nothing like having wonderful support and resources.  Wishing you nothing but the best on your journey.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Leigh1966
on 8/31/11 2:38 pm - NY
Thank you so much :-)  I appreciate your support.
Your photos look great, BTW!
Leigh
Kati T.
on 8/31/11 1:51 am - Charlotte, MI
congrats!
Leigh1966
on 8/31/11 2:39 pm - NY
Thank you so much :-)  I appreciate your support.
Leigh
Most Active