PLATEAU???

SpikyP L.
on 9/12/11 4:07 am - NM
I had my surgery 5 weeks ago.  The first 2 weeks before liquid diet and suffering the two weeks after with a tight band caused me to lose 26 pounds.  Since August  16 or so, 3 weeks ago, I have lost no weight at all.  I have been counting calories and I have not gone over 1200 calories, I have averaged about 1125 calories per day.  Is it possible to hit a plateau, or am I still eating too much to lose weight???  I figure I have saved myself 1000 calories per day at 21 days, 21000 calories divided by 3500  I should have lost 6 pounds??? What do you think?
Kathleen W.
on 9/12/11 8:34 am - Lancaster, PA
Plateaus are very common, especially at 5 weeks out. Your body just had major surgery. You've lost 26 lbs in 5 weeks. That's 5 lbs a week. No other way to lose that much that fast. Your body is saying WTF did you do to me?. Your body is trying to adjust to the surgery. Plus, while you might not be losing actual lbs for the moment, you're losing inches. How are the rings and clothes fitting? Your body will catch up. Believe me. We all go through it, even though it's a pain in the neck in the beginning.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

SpikyP L.
on 9/12/11 9:21 am - NM
Thank you Foxymama!!!  It brings me hope to hear you say that.  I was really happy at first that I lost that weight, but nothing since.  I do feel better, and yes my rings are fitting much better, so is the fanny pack that I wear sometimes.  The other day it actually slipped off when I was walking, Ha Ha!!!  I will continue this week doing the same, next week at 6 weeks I will get my first fill on the 20th.  Right now I am wide open, I don't know how much they will fill, I am thinking maybe 1cc...or 2ccs...I don't want to go too much as I was really sick at first and they had to unfill me twice.  Talk to you later.  PLSikey
Elizabeth N.
on 9/12/11 12:52 pm - Burlington County, NJ

This explanation is courtesy of Diana Cox.

A "stall" at this point is inevitable, and here is why. 

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Chickenboob
on 9/13/11 9:10 am - Rockland, Canada
THanks Elizabeth....maybe this is why I drop ten pounds one week, then nothing for 3 weeks, then drop 5-6, then nothing for a few weeks. Out of my 6 post op weeks, I have lost weight 2 of them. I think we all have funny patterns! Don't worry SpikyP! We'll get there! Keep doing what you are doing!

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

SpikyP L.
on 9/14/11 4:55 am - NM
Thank you  for the response.  It does help to explain the weight.  So if we regain because of the glycogen (forgot how to spell it I think) and we stay dieting, at what point can we lose it again.  Once we start eating again, and start dieting again???  I guess I am doing ok, I lost 17 pounds the first 2 weeks before and 1 week after surgery, in the last  30 days I have lost another 9 pounds, almost 2 pounds a week.  A total of 26 pounds in 8 weeks.  PLSpikey
CHELLEYGIRL
on 9/14/11 6:54 am - PALMDALE, CA
That is exactly where im at... nothing, i didnt think i could or would hit a platue so soon.??? I had RNY 5 weeks ago tomorrow. I was totally starting to freak out!  And get really discouraged. I guess it didnt get there overnight, so i should have some patience. Maybe im not eating enough or to much??? Good luck to you SpikyP!!!

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

Most Active