Self pay question

ND2BTHN
on 9/13/11 12:22 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Hi everyone. I have been lurking for a little while now and recently decided to join. I am from Ontario, and decided that the sleeve would be the best choice for me. However, OHIP doesn't cover the sleeve unless you are over 50 bmi. I am only 40.1 and don't wish to gain more just to accomodate the system. I want to self pay, but want to know if anyone has ever had a surgeon within Canada accept self paying patients?

I haven't got official approval from my doctor as of yet, but I did speak with him about it on my last visit. His response was how I expected it to be, but he wasn't closed to the subject. He prefered I'd wait, due to my current adrenal fatique problems, but I feel waiting won't resolve this issue. In fact I think losing the weight will only help my current imbalance.  He said it took years to get me this way and it could take years to come back. That is not an option for me. I truly believe that my weight is contributing to my adrenal fatigue issues, and I am currently battling hypoglycemia and sleep apnea too. I have a long family history of heart diseasse, diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea, and don't like the road I am heading into.

Is it possible to self pay within Canada, or do I have to look else where?  I am going back in on Friday, for the results of my hormonal saliva test, and wish to discuss it with him again. However I would like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible in regards to if it is possible within Canada. This info is soo hard to find, so any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Mary Catherine
on 9/13/11 1:53 pm
 Are you confusing the sleeve with the switch?
ND2BTHN
on 9/13/11 2:02 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
I guess I did make an error. It is covered by OHIP but. I have read from my sister's surgeon preop website, that the sleeve is only reserved for special extreme cir****tances. The DS is not covered however. Wasn't sure though if this is for all surgeons throughout or just him. Very few actually perform the sleeve in Canada.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Elizabeth N.
on 9/13/11 11:28 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Check out Dr. David Greenbaum in New Jersey. He has just recently changed/added hospital affiliations and offers an excellent self pay option at the new location, which is Virtua Memorial in Mt. Holly, NJ. www.southjerseybariatrics.com or www.duodenalswitchdoc.com .

goodkel
on 9/13/11 4:49 pm
I self paid in Hermosillo, Mexico with the only experienced DS surgeon in MX, Dr. Ungson. My DS was $12k, but I believe he is now charging $13k. You'll probably need to add another $2k or so for travel and related expenses.

I have no idea about self-pay in CN, but there is no qualified DS surgeon in the US charging less.

If you haven't, you should check out the Canadian boards. You may have to travel, but I have read of people travelling to another province for a DS covered by OHIP.  You'll have a greater chance of finding someone who has negotiated the system to get their surgery on the CN boards.

Best of luck to you!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

MARIA F.
on 9/13/11 8:02 pm - Athens, GA

You might post on the VSG forum and ask. I am thinking that a lot of the Canadians have had VSG in Mexico though.

FormerlyFluffy.com

ND2BTHN
on 9/13/11 11:14 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Found the board. Thanks.
Karen M.
on 9/13/11 11:22 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Hi there :)

Glad you found the board!  I see you're in Mississauga - me too.  I host support group coffee nights in Mississauga - there is one tonight at 6:30PM at TIm's on Lakeshore in Clarkson if you're interested in joining us! Send me a PM if you want/need more info :)

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active