24yrs old. Surgery October 10th. I'm scared & need advice!

asiaisacontinent
on 9/16/11 2:57 am - MI
Hello! Thanks for reading this! I'm having my surgery Oct 10th. I'm 250 right now, my doctor wants me to lose 10lbs before my surgery, but it's not mandatory. I have a couple of questions..

1) Since I'm only 24, do you think I won't have as much of a problem with 'loose skin'

2) I'm getting Married in 5 months, I don't know how much weight to expect to lose by then. My doctor said 80lbs, but I can't imagine that!

3) My biggest weakness is diet pop... anyone have a solution for giving it up?

Thanks!!!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/16/11 3:49 am
Loose skin - there are multiple things that factor in, and age is one. HOW fat you are, and HOW LONG you have been fat, and especially genetics all play a part. It's a crap shoot, but that may help your odds.

The doctor can only make an educated guess to the weight loss, and we all lose differently, so I wouldn't buy the dress any earlier than necessary, or make sure it's easy to alter.

I drank diet pop as soon as my stomach healed, but I had the DS, and you are getting RNY, so may have somewhat different rules. With RNY, you won't be able to drink any liquid with meals. If you have soda at other times, you may want to start with putting a little bit in a lot of ice, to get rid of some of the fizz.

twert80
on 9/16/11 4:14 am
Congrats on surgery i will 2yrs out on oct 14th.  As the other poster stated all those factors play are part in extra skin.  Also if you did a lot of yo-yo dieting with a lot of gain and loss as the more you lose and gain the elasticity kinda wears out so to speak.  I drank a lot of diet soda pre RNY but since have swithched to TEA hot/cold i'm all over it.  I try a soda occ b/c that is all that may be around but it taste terrible and have no desire for it and would soon drink water over the soda.  Also the warmth was soothing to my healing tummy after surgery, but for some if it is too warm it may cause a slight discomfort (trust me luke warm is good just after surgery OUCH if too hot).  oh and i lost 100lbs in 6mo but the loss is different for everyone.

Tiff
* Nicole *
on 9/16/11 4:25 am
Hey fellow Michigander.

1) Age makes no difference, I was 22.5 yo when I had surgery. Certain places rebounded ok others not so much.

2) Chances are you could have that 80lbs down.

3) Pop couldnt help you. I had the DS I can still drink it.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Kathleen W.
on 9/16/11 4:29 am - Lancaster, PA
You are going to be fine.  As far as excess skin, it depends on your age, how much you have ot lose, your height, and genetics.  You're young so your skin still has the elasticy in it that I don't have(I'm 56).  How tall are you and how much do you want to lose? I'm 5'1" and lost 187. lbs  being short and old ,  I had to deal with some extra but not as much as I thought.
Congradulations on your up coming marriage.  80 lbs is an estimate, depending on how well you adhere to the food plan and excercise that the dietician/ nutritionist and excercise physiologist give you.  It could be 80 or more.  Again, your youth is in your favor.
I had an rny and was addicted to Diet Sprite.  I thought that I would have a tough time.  I don't know if it would hel*****t, but I started to subsitute soda with ice tea.  Started with switching 1 glass and built it up to all day.  A year after my surgery,  I had a diet soda and found that my taste buds had changed.  The soda was turning my stomach.  Needless to say,  I never touched the stuff again.
You are going to do so well.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says it, I'm possible."

-Audrey Hepburn

Next time you think you can't do somethng or afraid to try something, think of it this way. Pretty cool way to look at it.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

asiaisacontinent
on 9/16/11 6:33 am - MI
I'm 5'4'' and I'm 24. I want to be 140 overall but 180 by my wedding. I hope it happens but I don't want to get my hopes up!
Kathleen W.
on 9/16/11 9:57 am - Lancaster, PA
You are already 2 steps ahead of me when I had my surgery.  I'm 5'1"  and was 327  when I started the process.  By the time I had surgery, I was 290 lbs. I remember losing  about  70-80 lbs between 9/15/09 to 2/12/10.(approximately 6 months)

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

asiaisacontinent
on 9/16/11 6:34 am - MI
Thanks! That's a really cool link!
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

Emily F.
on 9/16/11 5:17 am
You are going to be fine. Keep your eye on the prize with the pre op diet. Its a bummer but needs to be done.

Your skin will probably rebound better than someone older. I've been obese off and on in my 29 years and my skin is pretty good. Its sagging but I look completely normal w clothes on.

Congrats on your marriage. 80lbs is realistic.
Most Active